One reason a smoking ban in clubs is bad

Permabanned
VeNT said:
exactly,
firefighters shouldn't be protected from fires (with equipment etc) because ITS THEIR CHOISE TO DO THAT JOB!

what a strange argument.
so you don't want to protect worker's health, but rather make it part of their contract that they will likely get lung cancer?

Permabanned
That was aimed at me, he was being sarcastic.

However If I was wary of Fire, smoke, climbing tall structures would I be a Fireman, hell no, regardless of any precautions taken theres always the chance of something happening.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
james.miller said:
and so much for keeping it on topic. who'd have thought it would degenerate into "omg smoking kills" rant?

Thing is - I have no problem with people smoking, Their choice - obviously I don't quite see the point in the habit, but then I don't see the point in Vauxhall Corsas and they still exist.

What I do have a problem with is people smoking in a workplace. A bar/pub/club is just that, which is why the ban is being brought in under 'health in the workplace' laws. And for the life of me I can't figure out why many people don't understand this....

I haz 4090!
Don
tenchi-fan said:
Worthy, are you trolling or are you naturally thick? Millions of people don't die each year from drinking orange juice.

I am not trolling, I am stating my opinion. Do not insult my intelligence.

Millions of people die from smoking yes, I admit that. However, millions of people certainly do not die every year from passive smoking from going to a club on Friday and Saturday nights either. The dangers of passive smoking from those levels of exposure are extremely small.

Employees are different obviously, but we're talking about clubs here, not pubs. Clubs are only open for the whole night twice a week, and all the bar areas in clubs I frequent have excellent air conditioning.

To conclude: Yes I'd rather smell of smoke than have to gag on the smell of sweat all night. I think it's a bad decision to ban smoking in clubs.

Soldato
well that's the thing. smoker or not, id agree with the ban one way or the other. however for a lot of smokers, there's the samll problem of smoking in a club being their "right" to do so.That is being taken from them and that's why they complain.

If we are being sensible, then we know smoking, being passive or very much active, causes problems. Everybody knows that, nobody can deny it.

Soldato
ballistic said:
what a strange argument.
so you don't want to protect worker's health, but rather make it part of their contract that they will likely get lung cancer?
sorry I forgot my sarcasam tags

Soldato
ballistic said:
I rather smell sweat that passively smoke that crap which gives you lung cancer, destroys your teeth, makes you sterile, gives you heart disease, gives you emphysema, gives you bronchitis , gives you mouth cancer, harms pregnancy, promotes osteoporosis, causes aging of skin and causes strokes.

Do you prefer to smell sweat or get cancer?
To be fair drinking alcohol will cause most of those (and some to a greater extent).

Don't get me wrong I am strongly against smoking, and would never consider it myself, but I think that all too often non-smokers get on their high horses and make complete pariahs of smokers. Yes it is a big risk for barstaff to work in a smokey bar/cub - especially if they have other risk factors - but as said that job is their choice. Sure barwork may be the easier/most convenient casual job out there, but if smokers bother you that much surely you should slightly inconvenience yourself and get a different casual job.

For the average punter, unless you are going to a club more than 3 or 4 times a week, for a number of hours, and for over 20 years (ie until you are in your 40s), and assuming no other major risk factors - your risk of developing lung cancer is absoloutely minimal (even if statistically significant)

I haz 4090!
Don
I think everyone in this thread needs to come to Manchester (Leigh, to be exact) and we'll all go in to a place called Barbarellas around 10pm. I'll watch you take one sniff, and then club each other to death as you fight for the fag machine. :D

Soldato
JRS said:
What I do have a problem with is people smoking in a workplace. A bar/pub/club is just that, which is why the ban is being brought in under 'health in the workplace' laws. And for the life of me I can't figure out why many people don't understand this....
Because it's a completely different kettle of fish to workers smoking in their workplace, this is a customer (who is paying to be there, rather than being paid, lets not forget).

If you take a job in an office it is reasonable to expect that the environment in which you work will not be full of smoke. You cannot say the same when taking on bar work.

Next they will be banning alcohol from clubs because there is a danger to staff and other punters that they could be assaulted by a drunk person.

Soldato
Worthy said:
Oh get over yourself. You can't seriously believe that passive smoke from going to a club once or twice a week will give you cancer?
Not really passive smoking. It replaces the oxygen :p

I went to a gig on friday (week ago) where I swear everyone bar me smoked and my lungs are still messed up pretty badly.

It's not necessary to smoke in clubs, and especially when dancing, just gets on your nerves.. burns are not good :/

Don
j00ni said:
Because it's a completely different kettle of fish to workers smoking in their workplace, this is a customer (who is paying to be there, rather than being paid, lets not forget).

If you take a job in an office it is reasonable to expect that the environment in which you work will not be full of smoke. You cannot say the same when taking on bar work.

Next they will be banning alcohol from clubs because there is a danger to staff and other punters that they could be assaulted by a drunk person.

Smoking in offices was common once Jooni, but guess what, employers were required to do workplace risk assessments which found that it was an acceptable risk to other staff to be exposed to passive smoking.

And assualt is already illegal ;) .

Jokester

Soldato
Jokester said:
Smoking in offices was common once Jooni, but guess what, employers were required to do workplace risk assessments which found that it was an acceptable risk to other staff to be exposed to passive smoking.

And assualt is already illegal ;) .

Jokester
Maybe i didn't quite make my point clear, I realise that smoking in the office was common not so long since. What I was getting at is that smoking is a leisure activity, and so it is reasonable to expect that it will not be occurring in a professional white collar workplace. However, the same cannot be said of someone working in the entertainment/leisure industry (to an extent)

Fox

Fox

Associate
tenchi-fan said:
They are just harming themselves. Smoking harms everyone, and in nightclubs this could include staff, non-smokers and pregnant women.

I have to say I have yet to see a pregnant woman in a nightclub. Having said that if these women do indeed venture into a nightclub its their problem not the smokers.

My view is basically congratulations you got yourself pregnant, what do you want a medal?

I'm a non smoker and im totally against the smoking ban, if I do not want to be in a smokey atmosphere then I can remove myself from the situation and go somewhere else. Most clubs and bars prohibt smoking around the bar anyway to protect staff and im sure if they really wanted to they could improve the ac around these areas to get rid of any smoke which does wander into this area. I believe you should have the freedom to choose whether to smoke or not, maybe this means some clubs should be non smoking to cater to those who choose not to be around smoke but a blanket ban is archaic in my opinion.

Soldato
Fox said:
I have to say I have yet to see a pregnant woman in a nightclub. Having said that if these women do indeed venture into a nightclub its their problem not the smokers.
It probably wouldn't be all that noticable in the first trimester (which incidentally is when the most harm can be done) - and it is possible the mother herself doesn't realise ;)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
j00ni said:
What I was getting at is that smoking is a leisure activity, and so it is reasonable to expect that it will not be occurring in a professional white collar workplace. However, the same cannot be said of someone working in the entertainment/leisure industry (to an extent)

Oh, I get it....workers in an office can be protected against health hazards, but workers in a pub can't. I see, thanks for clearing that one up.

I would post the RollEyes Of Doom, but frankly it isn't worth the effort.

Ah, to hell with it.

:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom