**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
I've just scrolled up and down on my phone.

I don't see it glitching all over the place.

That video is completely fraud
It's hardly "glitching all over the place". At actual speed you may not notice the difference, many don't. But remember the video is slowed down to 25% speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knM4yFJpXkQ&t=57s

This video is a great example of the difference in refresh rates.

Associate
I don't really notice the difference between 60 & 90 and I regularly alternate between OP7T and Pixel 2 XL.

I'm really impressed with the OP7T so might just skip an upgrade this year, however I'll keep an eye out for the 8 just in case it tempts me.

I can't see me returning to Pixel after experiencing OnePlus.

I also have the 7T, the 8T will be the one to watch

Soldato
OP
I was pretty set on upgrading to the OnePlus 8, but now I'm thinking that if the OnePlus 6 gets Android 11, I might keep it for another year. There is nothing that I have found that it can't do. The notch is a little bit annoying but not enough to get me to spend several hundred pounds on upgrading to the OnePlus 8. I do game occasionally on my phone, but the Snapdragon 845 is still a beast of a mobile CPU.

Associate
I just hope they make a smaller phone as well ala the S10e, i'd love to go back to OP but after having a smaller phone I'm not sure I want to go back!

Soldato
OP
I just hope they make a smaller phone as well ala the S10e, i'd love to go back to OP but after having a smaller phone I'm not sure I want to go back!

I'm the opposite. I want a bigger phone as I use it for Discord a lot and you can fit more chat history on a larger phone. Does anyone know if the 120Hz display is going to be 4k or 1080p or whatever resolutions mobile phones use these days?

Soldato
I'm the opposite. I want a bigger phone as I use it for Discord a lot and you can fit more chat history on a larger phone. Does anyone know if the 120Hz display is going to be 4k or 1080p or whatever resolutions mobile phones use these days?
Pretty sure it's QHD. That being said apparently the Samsung phones are using a similar, if not the same, panel and at 120hz their 'QHD' screens are limited to FHD/1080p. Not sure how much truth is in that however.

I was pretty set on upgrading to the OnePlus 8, but now I'm thinking that if the OnePlus 6 gets Android 11, I might keep it for another year. There is nothing that I have found that it can't do. The notch is a little bit annoying but not enough to get me to spend several hundred pounds on upgrading to the OnePlus 8. I do game occasionally on my phone, but the Snapdragon 845 is still a beast of a mobile CPU.
You could consider a 7 Pro/7T Pro after the 8 is released? You get the notchless display and gauaranteed Android 11. Plus the prices of the 7 Pro are really good ATM and I would expect the 7T Pro to follow suit.

Soldato
On a different note. Can anyone recommend a decent yet cheap case for the 7T Pro that includes a stand of some description? I'm off to the US next month and would like a case that I can prop up on the plane. I would normally go for the Spigen offering but not entirely happy spending £15 on a case that probably wont get used after the trip.

**Apologies I totally forgot I was on the 8 thread. Should be on the 7/7T series thread :o

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm wondering whether I should renew my contract and get a phone at the same time or whether I should wait. I'm not getting great download speeds on Vodafone but I do have unlimited data. On the other hand, Virgin Mobile is much faster download speed wise but I only have 32GB of data with them so I have to be careful not to use it all up. A OnePlus 8 would be a nice upgrade though. Decisions decisions.

Soldato
I'm wondering whether I should renew my contract and get a phone at the same time or whether I should wait. I'm not getting great download speeds on Vodafone but I do have unlimited data. On the other hand, Virgin Mobile is much faster download speed wise but I only have 32GB of data with them so I have to be careful not to use it all up. A OnePlus 8 would be a nice upgrade though. Decisions decisions.

Three are doing unlimited for £20/month SIM free.

Soldato
OP
Three are doing unlimited for £20/month SIM free.

I might have to get that then when my Vodafone contract ends but that isn't until June or July (I forget which). I think I'm ready to try a new network. There is nothing holding me to Vodafone at the moment except the unlimited data.

Soldato
What do you reckon the chances are of the Pro model having 512GB of storage?

Less than 50:50 in my opinion. Maybe they'll do a McLaren edition with big specs and an increased price.

I've been checking out the renders for the 8 Pro and I'm a little disappointed that it appears (assuming the renders are accurate) to have an exaggerated screen curve in the same way as the 7/7T Pro. I find the curve makes the backswipe from left gesture less comfortable than it ought to be and had hoped that OP would move with the times and flatten out their curves a little.

Soldato
OP
Less than 50:50 in my opinion. Maybe they'll do a McLaren edition with big specs and an increased price.

I've been checking out the renders for the 8 Pro and I'm a little disappointed that it appears (assuming the renders are accurate) to have an exaggerated screen curve in the same way as the 7/7T Pro. I find the curve makes the backswipe from left gesture less comfortable than it ought to be and had hoped that OP would move with the times and flatten out their curves a little.

I've never used a phone with a curve so I'm unsure of the problems it causes. I'm still on my OnePlus 6 which has lasted for a long time and still works perfectly.

Soldato
OP
With the Snapdragon 865 supporting variable refresh rate displays we could see a OnePlus 8 with a 120Hz and Q-Sync (which is Qualcomm's version of G-Sync and FreeSync).

Back
Top Bottom