**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
I'll keep my OP7 Pro for the time being. A punch hole camera seems like a step backwards from the popup camera I currently have. As I very rarely use a selfie camera I much prefer having a full screen.

I rarely take selfies so I get where you're coming from, however the punch hole on my Note 10 really hasn't been intrusive. Most times it's hidden by the status bar anyway.

Soldato
Does the standard OP 8 have a flat screen?

One thing i don't like about my 7 Pro is the curved screen and won't be buying another if i can help it.

Soldato
Does the standard OP 8 have a flat screen?

One thing i don't like about my 7 Pro is the curved screen and won't be buying another if i can help it.
I don't believe it does, certainly if the leaks are anything to go by. There are rumours of an 8 'Lite' but I've seen nothing concrete. I mentioned over on HUKD (on a 7T thread) that people who prefer flat screens and are between buying a reduced 7T now or wait until the 8 would probably be better served by buying a 7T as it could well be the last OP device with a flat screen for some time.

Soldato
Pete Lau says the OP8 series won't be thousand dollar phones, which is tantamount to admitting the top spec 8 Pro will retail at $999.

Which probably equates to £899 for the 12/256 model in the UK. Or maybe that'll be the price of a super spec McLaren edition.

However it turns out, it's looking to me like +£100 across the board. For 5g that few people want and way fewer people need.

Soldato
Under the current climate i really can't see them shifting as many as they have done previously.

Nope, but coronavirus didnt stop Samsung, Oppo or Xiaomi significantly bumping up the prices of their flagships recently. It doesn't seem like anything will slow the inflation busting relentless ballooning of top tier phone prices.

Soldato
OnePlus phones have terrible resale value (I only use recyclers rather than eBay), so a £900 OP8 Pro will be worth £200 tops when I come to sell.

I never say never, but it's looking increasingly likely I'll wait for the iPhone 12 since I ultimately don't care whether my handset has iOS or Android on it.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
I've dead set on OnePlus 8 Pro. I tend to use my phone 3/4 years.
I'm still rocking a Samsung Galaxy S8 from day one. Time for a change. Just wating for OnePlus event. Currently on Furlough, will need to get my priorities right.

When it comes to resale value, don't care tbh, as i would just pass it on to kids/nephew etc etc...

Associate
I've dead set on OnePlus 8 Pro. I tend to use my phone 3/4 years.
I'm still rocking a Samsung Galaxy S8 from day one. Time for a change. Just wating for OnePlus event. Currently on Furlough, will need to get my priorities right.

When it comes to resale value, don't care tbh, as i would just pass it on to kids/nephew etc etc...
3/4 years wow. Has the battery not had its day by then? Any phone I've had in the smartphone era has never been OK on battery for more than 18 months and then struggle through the next 6 until upgrade time.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Battery was fine for the first 18/20 months. Yes on certain days I will need to charge it twice. Lately battery has had it days as battery is only lasting me 4/5 hours Tops.

Luckily I'm at home so don't need to worry about it and not using it as much

Soldato
3/4 years wow. Has the battery not had its day by then? Any phone I've had in the smartphone era has never been OK on battery for more than 18 months and then struggle through the next 6 until upgrade time.

My oneplus 5 is still a battery champ. Its a secondary phone now but it's held up great.

Pixel 3 on the other hand is *****. And it's only gotten worse.

Looking forward to the new OP handsets.

Associate
The pricing could be the big tell. Even accounting for inflation and money grabbing these phone's don't deserve to be significantly more expensive than the 7T series. You know (and I never thought I'd say this) as curves go the 7/7T Pro curves aren't that bad, for me anyway. I never liked curved displays but unfortunately that's just the way the market was going. That being said I prefer the OP ones as they are more gradual and less pronounces than others and they're definitely much better than those silly waterfall displays.
With regards to the charging, I totally agree about the 25-45W comparisons on the Samsung phones however I think some of that is down to a bottleneck on the battery tech itself. But when you compare 30W to the Super VOOC2 that the new Oppo has then there is a clear improvement. Again it will depend on the user as to what's useful and what isn't. Some are happy having their phone rest on a 5 or 10W wireless pad for 8-10 hours a day and others like having a quick 30-45min top up via the cable with no need to worry about charging for another day.

Yes, Samsung throttle to protect the battery. The OP 7t series removed the throttling. If Samsung did the same it would 0 to 100 in 33 minutes at 45W.

Testing my Note10+ 5G with official 45W resulted in:
0 to 22% in 7 minutes
0 to 30% in 10 minutes
0 to 53% in 20 minutes (-7%)
0 to 77% in 30 minutes (-13%)
0 to 90% in 41 minutes
0 to 95% in 51 minutes
0 to 100 in 58 minutes

25w charging test taken from online as not done this one yet.
10min~22%
30min~64%
60min~96%
64min~100%

Soldato
According to one video i watched today £70.
£70 isn't too bad when you consider Google were charging that (or maybe £75 was it?) for their 10w wireless charger!

I still don't see me buying a OnePlus 8 to replace my 7T Pro just for wireless charging (as much as I'd love to). Add £70 to the price for that wireless charging and it just isn't worth it. And OnePlus have never been shy about high pricing for its accessories - just go and have a look how expensive a mains charger and cable are on their site. If the wireless charging is not proprietary then customers may have a chance but if it's locked down (apologies for the relevant pun) then it's a no from me. It's the one reason I wouldn't buy a OnePlus from recyclers as the device doesn't come with the charger/cable and those cost an arm and a leg to replace. You wouldn't be far off the price of a new unit with accessories included at that stage.

Caporegime
OnePlus’ fast charging tech has always placed great value in running cool and its first wireless charger is no exception – it will have a cooling fan. Lau says that the loudest that the fan gets is 30dB, which is pretty quiet, but you probably don't want it on your nightstand while you sleep.

So, the charger will go into a quiet mode at night, which will turn off the fan so as not to disturb you. This also reduces charging speed, but that’s a good thing for overnight charging.

The company CEO offered a glimpse into how the wireless Warp Charge will work. The charger outputs 20V at 1.5A, which is reduced inside the phone down to the 5V 6A of wired Warp Charge in two stages.
Was obviously put off by the first part but nice touch with the slowing down.

Back
Top Bottom