Onkyo HTS 3505 or other Onkyo users

Soldato
I bought the HTS 3505 yesterday and I am having troubles getting 5.1 working on dvds/blu rays and games it appears.
I have it on HDMI4, if I turn speakers B off and press audio it says I am getting 5.1 but I am missing the centre channel as I hear no speech in scenes. I was testing Predator and the scene where they are shooting down the forest, I hear lots of gun fire but not all of it and not the shouting. If I turn B back on then it switches back to 2.1 under the audio information and I hear the speech.
It is a slim PS3 and I have it set to HDMI audio, 5.1 dts/pcm etc.. and it says 5.1 INPUT but the output is not correct. Any idea what I am missing? Very frustrating.

Soldato
Are you getting anything (under any circumstances) from the centre speaker? That is, is it connected properly? Have you tried the sound check in the settings? The option is called Level Cal.

You need to leave Zone B disabled (and Zone A enabled) otherwise 5.1 won't work. You may also need to press one of the Listening Modes buttons on the remote (doesn't matter which) until you see 'Direct' on the screen on the front panel.

If none of that helps, I'd go back and check all the connections again and go through all the PS3 settings again. The PS3 also has the option to output audio via Optical and HDMI at the same time, make sure that's disabled.

Soldato
Check in speaker setup on the amp that you have the speakers you have enabled and disable any that aren't in your set up, otherwise it will be sending to channels that might not exist. It sounds like you've told the amp you don't have a centre speaker, or you've told it you have a centre but it isn't connected properly.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Turns out it was connected at one end properly which is odd because it looked fine! Ran the sound cal thing and no white noise from centre. All is working such a dweeb cheers.
Has anyone replaced the speaker cable for this set up? The rear left is going to be to short once I move the amp on to the new tv unit Thursday so could do with one a bit longer, what gauge is it?

Back
Top Bottom