Online form submission and retrieval of information

Associate
Hi all,

Hoping someone can help or have some bright ideas about the best way to do this or if it’s even possible.

So, I manage a local football team and yesterday we had a club meeting with all of the committee members and other managers and one of the things to come out of it was the administration of all the paperwork, how this gets updated etc.

At present, parents each year have to fill in multiple forms with all the player and parents details and return to the club, where someone inputs all the data into a spreadsheet, which then gets sent to each coach for their age group so we have contact details, medical information etc.

This seems a pretty easy solution, although obviously a pain for someone to have to input all the details initially.

Someone yesterday asked about the possibilities of setting up some online form system where parents themselves can input the required information electronically and could also be used by parents to update any details if they change and confirm annually if the details are still correct.

So, I’m wondering how easy this would be to setup? How complicated would it be to create an online form for parents to fill in which was then submitted to a spreadsheet or database and for parents to retrieve this information for the purpose of updating details or confirming the details are still correct.

Obviously, data security is extremely important, especially if it’s also used to retrieve data, which probably adds significantly to the complexity of such a project.

However, I’m the most technical at the club as I’m proficient in Excel and have experience in Access/SQL so if anyone’s going to do it, it’s going to be me, but I’ve never done any sort of web work, I’ve created forms in Excel & Access but that’s then used by local users etc so I’m out of my depth here.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance.

Associate
OP
Done some very quick googling and I potentially have a plan. Wondered if anyone could comment on the below:

I’ve found Microsoft forms which apparently can be used to setup an online form and the data automatically input into a spreadsheet which is perfect.

I could then use this spreadsheet to compare to the current spreadsheet to work out which parents/players have not yet completed the online form, I’m confident I could set this up.

Still doesn’t allow parents to retrieve data for the purpose of updating, but I could setup a macro to email parents there current details to confirm if these are still correct, I suppose I could setup another form for the purpose of allowing parents to submit a change of address or whatever, will still require some manual work though.

I’ve never used Microsoft forms before so no idea if the above will work as planned.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Easiest way would be to setup a Google Form that drops it into your Google Sheet.

Do your further processing/analysis using your regular skills with SQL,Access etc with only data you can access.

Ed

As I typed this Mark posted. Setup permissions to the google stuff so that only people can view the Form.

In my experiece its getting the format in the sheet correct and make sure the form dumps it in properly that takes the time. I done this few years back so Google may have improved the apps since then.

Back
Top Bottom