Only 24 hours until my new car arrives....it's a GTR!

Soldato
OP
That looks stunning, easily the best colour.

Had a good look around an MY19 in Nissan yesterday and it a nice thing in pearlescent white. They had a brand new one £10k off (Think it was £77k), but whilst nice, that's still a lot. Only thing missing was apple carplay.

We could fit one into the fleet as although the dog can't fit in the boot, he could fit on the rear seats. A big plus as the R8 obviously can't accommodate him :p

*Goes off to look at used MY17*

Such a lovely colour, perfect.

Cheers lads.

Cheapest MY17 I have seen is £61K atm that's with 30K miles but same trim as mine (prestige). Interesting choice of leather colour though: https://usedcars.nissan.co.uk/en/vehicles/nissan/gt-r/38-v6-4wd-prestige-ivory-2-door-coupe-vdbu4jj

The Y-Pipe has made the car sound insane on full chat! Just trying to get a video that actually shows it off well.

Soldato
OP
Took the GTR to Donington today, open pit lane, national circuit. Car is stock save for Y-pipe so was looking forward to getting to grips with it in a very stock form.

My first track day in around 6 years, so was a little apprehensive.

The GTR performed amazingly (unsurprising news). Only went out for 15-20 min sessions, with ample warming up & cooling down. Didn't see any scary temps on the trans or engine oil which is good.

Only had one mildly hairy moment. Those on my Instagram can see that as it's not forum friendly!

The GTR is one of those cars where you really just need to trust it and hold on. Going down craner curves was insane and my neck is feeling sore now from it all!

The brake were amazing and allowed me to stop in ample time with no major fade. Tyres were good but after 6-7 laps were getting too hot and needed to come back in for a while to cool down, alas the GTR is probably sitting at 2 tonnes with driver & fluids.

The weather couldn't of been better as it was clear, sunny and around 20c!

The GTR managed to drink a whole tank of full in 63 miles which is some good going!

I will be posting some Go Pro footage once it has uploaded fully too.

Some pics below from the track day organisers:

40265447533_e90b95b5b0_b.jpg

47178399862_6f65c0582e_b.jpg

32288410877_a376ea9c2b_b.jpg

40265447693_ac0250d5be_b.jpg

47178399982_a7c71d8e68_b.jpg

40265447883_04cde16c92_b.jpg

Soldato
OP
Missed this thread initially, nice choice @NathWraith ! Love those wheels with the orange, really suits it :cool:

Looks like you had a great day at Donny, glad you didn't bin it!!! :D

Aha yeah no really scary moments, I must be getting better...

Amazing pics. I assume to do track days you have to get special insurance for the day?

Yeah you can do, not compulsory though.

OcUK Staff
Been about the same amount of time since I went to Donny too, think I'll take my new one over there this Summer. Hopefully @Gibbo will be taking the new Banana at some point!

There is one next week, £165, OPL, max 55 cars, very tempted as M3 really needs to get re-tested, hope its all spot on now.
458 will take a visit but not until I've sorted brakes, tracks are all about brakes, M3 brakes are in another world of performance plus at 1370kg with fuel its light.

Nath for a 2 tonne car its amazing how flat the GTR looks through the corners, really not bad considering the MY17's are actually softer to be better mannered on road.

Soldato
OP
Nath for a 2 tonne car its amazing how flat the GTR looks through the corners, really not bad considering the MY17's are actually softer to be better mannered on road.

Honestly, zero complaints on the handling front.

Car is set up near perfect for the job.

The Michelin 4S tyres are the next hing to look forward to as all feedback seems to say they are superior to the Dunlop GT600’s in every way.

May look into a more track orientated brake combo for the future but if anything, more track time is what I need!

OcUK Staff
Honestly, zero complaints on the handling front.

Car is set up near perfect for the job.

The Michelin 4S tyres are the next hing to look forward to as all feedback seems to say they are superior to the Dunlop GT600’s in every way.

May look into a more track orientated brake combo for the future but if anything, more track time is what I need!

Nath, speak with Kindai!

But I'd recommend you go hole hog, get the surface transform ceramics and uprated pads to suit, that way you benefit from better stopping power, zero dust and save weight from most important location at same time, 6-10k so not cheap but GTR life, and nothing comes cheap in GTR life.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Ceramics (stock calipers, regardless of what people try to sell you, on a GTR are more capable than you or I) if you can stretch to them, my only regret is I didnt get more use out of them before selling the GTR, but what mental stopping power they have.

Otherwise, the new Alcon kit matched up to the RS29 pads will put you through the windscreen they are so vicious.

Go for Sport 4 S tyres, ridiculously capable on a GTR, Cup2 tyres if youre willing to be a bit more sensible in the cold and wet. They also wont shatter your spine going over bumps and potholes.

If/when I get another GTR, I would do the following:

Stock:
Litchfield suspension
Litchfield handling kit
Alcon 410mm brake kit or ST carbon ceramics
Cup2 Tyres

When I wanted more power:
Shortbuild (rods) with efr 6758 turbos on stock manifold
Albins gearset

Someone I know is selling a full set of ST discs with alcon CCX calipers, could probably get you them for a good price if you were interested, maybe the £7-7.5k mark?

The mistake I made was going for more power before getting the car properly planted, it meant especially around places like donnington the backend was wanting to snap soon as you spool up. I drove one with litchos suspension and handling kit and it was night and day, even when they had more power than me, it was just able to put it down.

*edit*

Just watched your "oh **** moment". Sounds like you lifted off coming around the corner, id of bet money if you instead kept neutral throttle youd of made it. Key rule with GTR and exploiting the AWD is "Gas is grip" especially with soft suspension like a MY17.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Ceramics (stock calipers, regardless of what people try to sell you, on a GTR are more capable than you or I) if you can stretch to them, my only regret is I didnt get more use out of them before selling the GTR, but what mental stopping power they have.

Otherwise, the new Alcon kit matched up to the RS29 pads will put you through the windscreen they are so vicious.

Go for Sport 4 S tyres, ridiculously capable on a GTR, Cup2 tyres if youre willing to be a bit more sensible in the cold and wet. They also wont shatter your spine going over bumps and potholes.

If/when I get another GTR, I would do the following:

Stock:
Litchfield suspension
Litchfield handling kit
Alcon 410mm brake kit or ST carbon ceramics
Cup2 Tyres

When I wanted more power:
Shortbuild (rods) with efr 6758 turbos on stock manifold
Albins gearset

Someone I know is selling a full set of ST discs with alcon CCX calipers, could probably get you them for a good price if you were interested, maybe the £7-7.5k mark?

The mistake I made was going for more power before getting the car properly planted, it meant especially around places like donnington the backend was wanting to snap soon as you spool up. I drove one with litchos suspension and handling kit and it was night and day, even when they had more power than me, it was just able to put it down.

*edit*

Just watched your "oh **** moment". Sounds like you lifted off coming around the corner, id of bet money if you instead kept neutral throttle youd of made it. Key rule with GTR and exploiting the AWD is "Gas is grip" especially with soft suspension like a MY17.

Yep with AWD always keep the car under power, never totally lift as then they typically become RWD. Was same in SVR and even Golf R, always keep the power somewhat in, if you need to get out of it just lift a little, never complately, keep the diffs, HICAS, AWD doing their thing, its why you will see some pro drivers if it gets a bit lairy, not something a pro willl normally do but they will add power or plant it hard if space to do so to stop ends from swapping.

Soldato
OP
Yeah pretty much, didn’t scrub off enough speed going into the corner with braking so lifted and then went wide.

Not looking to drop £7-10k on brakes just yet :p

Priority now is to see what this check engine light means. Into the dealer today for its second service.

OcUK Staff
Yeah pretty much, didn’t scrub off enough speed going into the corner with braking so lifted and then went wide.

Not looking to drop £7-10k on brakes just yet :p

Priority now is to see what this check engine light means. Into the dealer today for its second service.

I suspect the y pipe has thrown of what the ECU expects to see and so it was triggered, they can just clear it.
Or something got hot like a sensor and stopped reading correctly.

Generally if car runs fine, all is fine but they should always be checked as quick as possible, so your doing right thing.

Soldato
OP
I suspect the y pipe has thrown of what the ECU expects to see and so it was triggered, they can just clear it.
Or something got hot like a sensor and stopped reading correctly.

Generally if car runs fine, all is fine but they should always be checked as quick as possible, so your doing right thing.

Yeah agreed.

At the dealer now, although they tried to charge me £60 to read the light! I kindly reminded them it’s under warranty!

Dealers eh.

Soldato
OP
Go Pro footage up now.

I recorded loads but this makes the best viewing. Was first on track after the track was red flagged so had no one in front for about 2 laps.

One of my later sessions so also alittle faster!

OcUK Staff
Go Pro footage up now.

I recorded loads but this makes the best viewing. Was first on track after the track was red flagged so had no one in front for about 2 laps.

One of my later sessions so also alittle faster!

Not bad, need to get that apex at old hairpin mate, your scrubbing a lot of speed off due to being wide, practice make perfect.

Shame yesterday was Ferrari day, I can't wait get back on there with M3.

Soldato
OP
Not bad, need to get that apex at old hairpin mate, your scrubbing a lot of speed off due to being wide, practice make perfect.

Shame yesterday was Ferrari day, I can't wait get back on there with M3.

Aha yes mate, I see it now!

I think I can do more on redgate too but you will remember being in the supra when I went off there years ago so I’m alittle cautious!

Managing 130-135mph indicated on starkey’s and pit straight though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom