Only Mobile Phone as internet connect

Associate
Hi and thanks in advance for any information you may give.
A little back ground first..
I live in a static caravan and a landline is not allowed
I currently use my brilliant and yes old Samsung S7 usb tethering for my internet connection to my PC desktop.
My thoughts are to update my phone to either the New Samsung S22 or Red Magic Pro 7, thinking the new technology within these phones would give me a better wifi internet connect via usb thethering
Speed Checks currently shows between 16 - 27 Mbs download and 7 - 13 Mbs upload depending on the time of day.
I do a lot of gaming online mainly so the phone is connected during the day to the PC
Your thoughts regarding the phones and any cable connection type of advice would be much appreciated

Soldato
Go for whatever phone you want and prefer. Doesn't make much difference with any current gen smart phone these days imo.

Why not get a 4G/5G router and SIM deal? You could also fit a proper antenna outside, it may help improve your signal/speeds.

Soldato
Go for whatever phone you want and prefer. Doesn't make much difference with any current gen smart phone these days imo.

Why not get a 4G/5G router and SIM deal? You could also fit a proper antenna outside, it may help improve your signal/speeds.
This, a little Huawei b series would do the job great and you can attach better, larger aerials.

Caporegime

Yep, use a site to find the nearest mast and choose some sim cards based on the nearest mast. Test them in a little router, and you could probably improve further with a small aerial.

Associate
Hi and thanks in advance for any information you may give.
A little back ground first..
I live in a static caravan and a landline is not allowed
I currently use my brilliant and yes old Samsung S7 usb tethering for my internet connection to my PC desktop.
My thoughts are to update my phone to either the New Samsung S22 or Red Magic Pro 7, thinking the new technology within these phones would give me a better wifi internet connect via usb thethering
Speed Checks currently shows between 16 - 27 Mbs download and 7 - 13 Mbs upload depending on the time of day.
I do a lot of gaming online mainly so the phone is connected during the day to the PC
Your thoughts regarding the phones and any cable connection type of advice would be much appreciated

A new phone won't likely improve your speed, it'd be worth canvassing the site and seeing what other people get and what networks work best though.

Personally I would do as others suggest and get a 4G/5G router with its own connectivity and external antenna for boosting performance, there are some cheap unlimited data tariffs about, this can then free up your mobile but if you don't want that extra cost, then you could a punt on a new phone, an S7 is old and no longer supported for security etc, it will have some benefits like improved MIMO radios for multiple connections and you can tether via ethernet on newer Samsungs meaning you could pipe into a cheap wifi router to supply other devices.

The newer USB will also provide greater future speed, no good to you now but should 5G reach your neck of the woods, it will get everywhere over time then you could start to see much higher bandwidth.

Of course down in Cornwall, there is resistance to new things and people are petitioning against 5G rollout :rolleyes:

Soldato
I would also say you'd be better off with a mobile broadband router or wifi device. Check the mobile broadband coverage maps and then choose a provider. EE and Three have some relevant products.

Soldato
You certainly want to try and keep your antenna outside of a caravan, they totally cripple the signal you receive.
As previously suggested, check the coverage maps and see who is offering a good service in your area. If you need help then perhaps you can let us know where you are located (roughly) so more data can be gathered. There are some good deals direct from the mobile providers, or if you prefer you can buy a decent 4G router for well under £100, and then have a dedicated SIM with enough data on it.
Also since you'll be using less data on your phone, if cost is a concern you can drop down the phone data amount, as you'd be connecting through the Wi-Fi on your 4G router.

Associate
OP
A new phone won't likely improve your speed, it'd be worth canvassing the site and seeing what other people get and what networks work best though.

Personally I would do as others suggest and get a 4G/5G router with its own connectivity and external antenna for boosting performance, there are some cheap unlimited data tariffs about, this can then free up your mobile but if you don't want that extra cost, then you could a punt on a new phone, an S7 is old and no longer supported for security etc, it will have some benefits like improved MIMO radios for multiple connections and you can tether via ethernet on newer Samsungs meaning you could pipe into a cheap wifi router to supply other devices.

The newer USB will also provide greater future speed, no good to you now but should 5G reach your neck of the woods, it will get everywhere over time then you could start to see much higher bandwidth.

Of course down in Cornwall, there is resistance to new things and people are petitioning against 5G rollout :rolleyes:
Thnx for the info and decided on a secondhand s21plus to see if there is any improvement with the option after this for an external aerial. Yes we are a little against change down this way, however we like our county and wish to preserve a little of what we have, that's probably why we receive so many visitors. Again thank you for answering. (We have 2 towns with 5g just not close to me lol)

Back
Top Bottom