Open Univeristy

Soldato
Hey

Anyone ever done a course with OU?

I want to get myself a qualification in a subject i am really interested in learning about, psychology.

My uncle just rang earlier and told my dad hes doing spanish and also got £500 for a laptop...plus a free course....how has he managed that like?

Anyway, any good or bad points about OU?

thanks

Associate
I've not gone the OU route myself but I know a couple of people that did. It's not something to be taken lightly.

Working until 4pm, having dinner and then right to the books. Coursework at weekends. It got him out of the car plant and into a decent management position.

I have nothing but respect for the guy.

I can say this with confidence: There was no way I could have done that.

Soldato
Mum did one with them and did some teaching for them too back in mk, its very part time and you have to be able to motivate your self to do it properly (and really want toe qualification)

Permabanned
takes a lot of willpower I am doing psychology at the moment and just slogging through my final essay and moving house which has to be done by the 6th oct my next course starts on 10th october so its non-stop lol

Associate
I'm starting my first OU course next month. Got all my module books, DVD's etc through yesterday, had a flick through and it all looks very interesting. Half excited, half nervous about starting!

I'm working towards a degree in Environmental Studies, will be all done in my own time outside of work, 6 years worth.

Associate
to josh

good luck with your course, finished mine ten years ago, but still doing thing out of interest just done the 10 point designing digital worlds course.

Associate
I did 3 years of OU whilst working full-time, and I also have 2 kids who occupy most of my spare time. During my first year I was made redundant from one job, I then worked 6 months at next place before getting my current job.

I did one 60 point course for each of the first two years, both grade 2 passes which I was well happy with, the next year I attempted two 30 point courses, this was a big mistake, as although they were only 30 point they had combined work load almost double the first two years, so I ended up just scrapping by, and this then put me off doing another year (that plus my age).

Anyway, after 3 years, and credit transfer from my HNC, I received my BSc Open degree with my certificate proudly framed above my computer desk. I could imagine the qualification would give me a big foot in the door when applying for jobs, but I also have 20 years experience and work history to back this up, doing the degree was more of a personal thing for me.

Man of Honour
I'm studying towards an MSc with the OU.

Good points:
-Course materials seem fairly up to date and well written
-Access to a lot of research papers via the online library
-Can work at your own pace
-TMAs give some structure to the course and help reduce the temptation to just slack off for months and then cram before the exam.

Bad points:
-Very expensive (£995 each for my 15pt courses, total cost will be £8000+!)
-Different style of learning to taught education - can mean you don't see all the interpretations of the course text
-Course forum software is atrocious and they aren't very active
-TMA guidelines grossly underestimate the time taken to complete them (suggests 6hrs each, but i'd say 15hrs is closer to the mark)

What I tend to do is study during my lunchbreak at work sometimes. Fitting in study at home can be difficult if you work fulltime so I find that help, you can quite easily clock up 10hrs a month during lunchbreaks.

Obviously the above comments won't be relevant to all courses.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom