Open vs Closed headsets. What is your preference?

Soldato
I decided to get a decent gaming headset, did a lot of research and went for the Senheisser Game One's (open back). I chose them over the game zeros (closed back version) because the vast majority of what I read and watched had people preferring open back design. SO I went with the majority. But I am not sure I like it at all...

Tried them out yesterday and while the sound is brilliant, I can hear my wifes TV programs and all sorts of home noises. I think I find it really distracting. I think I am one of the minority that prefers being "sealed off" while gaming. In a bubble, for immersion.

What about you guys? Open or closed?

Man of Honour
I own both the open PC360 and the closed Game Zero Sennheiser headsets. The PC360 is far better for directional sound and dynamic range compared to the closed version of pretty much the same headphones.

I have to pretend to ignore my wife though when using them instead of genuinely not being able to hear her :p

Soldato
OP
I own both the open PC360 and the closed Game Zero Sennheiser headsets. The PC360 is far better for directional sound and dynamic range compared to the closed version of pretty much the same headphones.

I have to pretend to ignore my wife though when using them instead of genuinely not being able to hear her :p

I have heard this. And I was very impressed with the direction of the sound in rust. I somehow ended up knowing where a sound was coming from instantly rather than have to move left and right left and right to pin point it.

Do you not get distracted by room noises though? Immersion breaking?

Man of Honour
I have heard this. And I was very impressed with the direction of the sound in rust. I somehow ended up knowing where a sound was coming from instantly rather than have to move left and right left and right to pin point it.

Do you not get distracted by room noises though? Immersion breaking?

Yeah I can have a normal conversation with my wife when wearing them so if you have any ambient sound you'll hear it clearly with the open headphones while the closed ones will block out 80% of normal sounds.

Soldato
OP
I'm just not sure. Hearing The real housewives of *insert city here saying why they are taking their man back after him cheating with the cleaner for the 4th time while i'm trying to sneak up on a base is really off putting.

Soldato
What about you guys? Open or closed?
Definitely open unless absolutely needing closed.

Open headphones also isolate less heat, lowering risk of ears weating and helping in comfort.
And very few more reasonable priced closed headphones can match accuracy of open headphones.
While stereo music forgives very inaccurate reproduction without sounding bad, gaming especially with binaural sound demands accuracy from headphones for any good immersion.
Cheap closed trinkets are basically like putting head into bucket underwater.

Though closed design makes achieving strong lowest rumbling bass easy.
Which is used to sell one half of gaming garbages and other trinkets.

I think Sennheiser has basically long ago given up on developing any better closed headphones.
Open headphones are definitely their "bread and butter" and has been for long long time.
Actually Sennheiser developed first open headphones, bringing kind of revolution to headphone sound quality.

Beyerdynamic (developer of first dynamic driver headphones) DT770 and its variants should be quite nice for binaural sound for closed headphone of its price.

Soldato
Prefer closed.
I like loud music and late-night gaming, and nothing is as immersion-breaking as the wife storming in at 3am screaming about how she's being kept awake by stupid bloody laser blasts and retarded 80s tunes...

Associate
I much prefer open personally, just lets the sound 'breathe' a bit more - rather than feeling like it's bouncing around between the cup and my ear :p

Obviously completely personal preference, but if you feel like you're too distracted you may be better off with closed.

Soldato
Argh I just can't decide. I want the open sound stage of the open backs but can't be doing with being distracted.
Beyerdynamic DT770 should work well for closed headphone.
Though compared to good open headphones it can't compete with that strong bass of closed design hurting details.

Man of Honour
I prefer open but I have a selection of both - I like to use the Sennheiser Momentum sometimes for a change of pace, etc.

Also closed back while it usually tends to mean they contain the sound from the headphones doesn't necessarily mean it will effectively isolate you from external noise - some of my closed back are pretty much no better than my open headphones for that.

Sony have some closed ones (Sony MDR-Z7) that supposedly sound very very close to open ones but they were quite expensive last time I looked (around £400).

Man of Honour
The fundamental difference between closed and open backed headphones (not just for gaming) is that closed back results in the sound seeming to be in side your head. But open back results in a much wide sound stage, as if you're really at the event. Personally I prefer open back if the room is fairly quiet. I also find my ears stay cooler with open back.

Associate
I use hd 650's (open back) and I can barley hear the room noise if i really try.
from what I have found if you want all the bass then closed back usually gives more but open back gives sound stage and direction better.
I love my headphones as I just cant hear the rest of the room, maybe i listen to it a little loud so i can definetly hear the foot steps
might turn it down actually that may be my problem oops.

Man of Honour
The fundamental difference between closed and open backed headphones (not just for gaming) is that closed back results in the sound seeming to be in side your head. But open back results in a much wide sound stage, as if you're really at the event. Personally I prefer open back if the room is fairly quiet. I also find my ears stay cooler with open back.

As an aside - if you don't mind some EQing and want to remove the sound from the head a bit with closed headphones - notch 4.5K or close as you can downwards around -3 to -6db - pulling 500Hz down a couple of db can offset the congestion you get with some closed designs as well but some are designed to attenuate that anyhow. If it makes the sound too hollow pull 2KHz and 8KHz up a little. Some closed headphones already have this designed in so might become tunnel sounding if you over do it.

Associate
I couldn't live without noise cancelling, closed-back headphones. I live next to a busy high street with single-glazed windows.

Good old listed building front...

Back
Top Bottom