Opening discord is making my PSU click

Soldato
Does it by any chance make no clicking at all if you're running a game before opening discord.

I'm taking a guess that it's doing nothing much and sitting in passive mode then what Discord gets up to spikes power enough to very briefly make the PSU think it's time to switch on the fan... hence the clicky noise as it goes to turn on the fan then immediately turns it off again because the power draw fell off.

Associate
OP
Normally during a game or booting any game etc you never hear it at all, just the normal fans running. But discord didn't do this until today. Don't wanna go through the hassle of returning my system for this one issue tho, but don't want it breaking at the same time

Soldato
Thing is, your PSU has no idea what programs you are running, all it sees is your computer wanting more or less power and that's all it ever needs to know.

That PSU has a semi passive mode which means no fan is on when the computer is only using a small amount of power. It will turn on the fan when the computer wants more power and turn it off again when not needed.

I believe the way the psu is designed means that every time the fan is turned on or off, it will click.

If you close discord, get a graphically heavy game running and then open discord I suspect you won't hear anything because the fan should already be turned on.

If that is what happens then I would say it's simply discord pulling just enough power during start up to briefly trigger the psu out of passive move and into turning the fan on, then off again because it stops using the cpu so much after its fully started.

Associate
OP
I understand what you mean but the problem I'm having is that it never used to do it, and I've had it installed since day 1. I just tried running pubg and not a single sound. I then ran discord while pubg was on and the click was there. So it's not the fan turning on or off. Like I said I've had this for 6 days so it seems like the power supply may already be getting faulty if simply opening discord makes that sound.

Man of Honour
Does this happen when you have no headset plugged in? I'm thinking along the lines of one of your ports possibly having an earth issue. Its a reach but it might help you narrow stuff down a little.

Associate
OP
Ok so I fixed the issue, it seemed to be the soundcard as bledd had mentioned. It only started happening once I allowed windows to use my mic with the win 10 version of skype, that I only put on the night before. Once I disabled windows using my mic for apps the sound is now gone, and discord is not causing an issue anymore. So it seems like the card was switching back and forth because of the windows skype forcing it off and on. Only a theory but it fixed the problem, kinda sad that Microsoft can't make a working app that doesn't mess with your card.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
The clicks are relays switching audio paths. My xonar essence did it when switching the input type between line in and mic. It also did it when switching between speakers and headphones.

The relays are the small white boxes on the pcb usually branded omron near the sockets. The more relays you have, the more noise you’ll get.

Back
Top Bottom