opinion on fractal define fans

Associate
Hi i wondered what your opinion is of the supplied fans in the S2 case, asking because i have corsair ml 140 that i could swap over instead ?
Thanks

Soldato
While I don't like ML140 as much as I do many other fans, they are much better than the stock Define Dynamic X2 GP-14 icase fans are. Dynamic X2 GP-14 are only rated to 0.71mm H20 maximum pressure against resistance .. that is their ability to move air through grills, filters and other things that disrupt/restrict the flow of air. ML 140 maximum pressure rating is 3.0mm H2O .. that's more than 4 times what GP-14 is. That said, if I had to buy new fans I would not buy MLs. There are many others that are better for less money.

Associate
OP
Thanks for taking the time to reply the ml fans were from my son and felt that I had to use them so swapping over atm

Soldato
You will see a nice improvement in case airflow with MLs. I suggest you remove all PCIe back slot covers for move open vent area around GPU and thus more airflow from front to back and out of case. Removing all PCIe slot covers usually improves temps by several degrees as well as lowering noise levels. We need exhaust vent area to be at least as big as intake vent area, even more exhaust if not using simlar fans exhausting air out. ;)

Associate
OP
You will see a nice improvement in case airflow with MLs. I suggest you remove all PCIe back slot covers for move open vent area around GPU and thus more airflow from front to back and out of case. Removing all PCIe slot covers usually improves temps by several degrees as well as lowering noise levels. We need exhaust vent area to be at least as big as intake vent area, even more exhaust if not using simlar fans exhausting air out. ;)
So what ypu are saying in simple terms is if i have 2x140 fns as intake i should have 2x140 fans as out take, i was always under the assumption that i wanted more intake to force the air out

Associate
So what ypu are saying in simple terms is if i have 2x140 fns as intake i should have 2x140 fans as out take, i was always under the assumption that i wanted more intake to force the air out

one problem with pushing more air in than being extracted is that the air going out will be from the easiest route possible so leaves dead air areas where as more air being extracted draws everything out.

Soldato
one problem with pushing more air in than being extracted is that the air going out will be from the easiest route possible so leaves dead air areas where as more air being extracted draws everything out.
Unless case is quite airtight outside fan holes, some air will always take short cuts.
It simply doesn't matter if there's surplus of air being forced into case or exhausted from it.

Soldato
Exhaust vent area is venting without fans. I almost never use exhaust fans in my builds anymore because I use good pressure rated intake fans that can easily flow air through the case. Just using intake fans is like only having a fan on front of a single tower cooler or only having fans on one side of radiator.

Back
Top Bottom