Opinions invited on HTPC build

Associate
Hi All

This is where I've got to so far. What could be done better? Am I missing anything? The PC will be for music and videos (up to 4K).

Ryzen 5 2400G - I think the G means it has a Wraith fan on there
MSI B450M Mortar Micro ATX mobo
2 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 3000
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 2.5" SSD
Silverstone ML03 case
be quiet! Straight Power 11 550W Gold

Going to give Linux Elementary a try. I have USB Bluetooth dongle with BT mouse and keyboard and a USB disc drive, data will be on a NAS drive

Not sure how to share my Overclockers basket. It's coming in at £566 at the mo.

Thanks

Soldato
Hi All

This is where I've got to so far. What could be done better? Am I missing anything? The PC will be for music and videos (up to 4K).

Silverstone ML03 case

Going to give Linux Elementary a try. I have USB Bluetooth dongle with BT mouse and keyboard and a USB disc drive, data will be on a NAS drive

Thanks

What is your budget, the G on the end means the CPU has on board graphics, to share you basket at overclockers, when you goto your basket, at the bottom you'll see a button that says BB Code, copy the pile of text it pulls up and paste it here and it will share you basket, took me a while to figure it out too.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi All

Silverstone ML03 case

Thanks

in reply to your question - yes this will work just fine
there is no better option unless you want to run a dedicated GPU, however this would put the price up about £150 for no real world gain

the only things i would change are,
1, a better then stock CPU cooler the 2400G comes with the minimum spec AMD cooler and if you running 4K viedo of the CPU i would want soothing that will keep it cool and make no noise
2, the PSU could be changed to 350W Gold for the same price as the system will pull about 100w max

Associate
OP
Thanks for the comments.

My budget is around £800 but that is to include a NAS drive.

It looks like there is the Ryzen 5 2400 GE that doesn't have the fan (and has marginally slower clock speeds) but the only ones I can find are more expensive than the one with the fan. Does the 2400G fan come off?

What would be a better, quieter CPU fan?

Back
Top Bottom