Opinions on Samsung's 2021 Neo QLED's or other QLED's

Soldato
I had thought about going with a Phillips (48") OLED, but I can't spend the next 5-6 years worrying about burn-in, it really put me off, especially as I burned in a Plasma a few years ago by leaving the YT menu on all night. :)

I watch a ton of SSN and sports with logo's on the screen, not so much TV/movies, and the QLED looks a good bet for gaming too.

Don't need more than 50", looking at spending around 1K.

Soldato
All the apps and usb media player will have a screen saver after a few mins on LG oleds.

Though yes, clumsy people should stay away from Oleds.

Soldato
OP
All the apps and usb media player will have a screen saver after a few mins on LG oleds.

Though yes, clumsy people should stay away from Oleds.

What's that got to do with my question?

I don't want to babysit a TV, or worry about the potential of burn-in, that seems very reasonable to me. Don't get upset because someone doesn't want an OLED for very valid reasons. Clumsy? I fell asleep with the TV on, that's very easy to do. One nights sleep shouldn't lead to a wrecked TV.

Soldato
I had thought about going with a Phillips (48") OLED, but I can't spend the next 5-6 years worrying about burn-in, it really put me off, especially as I burned in a Plasma a few years ago by leaving the YT menu on all night. :)

I watch a ton of SSN and sports with logo's on the screen, not so much TV/movies, and the QLED looks a good bet for gaming too.

Don't need more than 50", looking at spending around 1K.
A mate got the 65in version a few months back .. stunning picture!
https://www.richersounds.com/samsung-qe50qn94a.html

Man of Honour
What's that got to do with my question?

I don't want to babysit a TV, or worry about the potential of burn-in, that seems very reasonable to me. Don't get upset because someone doesn't want an OLED for very valid reasons. Clumsy? I fell asleep with the TV on, that's very easy to do. One nights sleep shouldn't lead to a wrecked TV.

The Oled worshippers can’t help themselves. They blurt out garbage at every opportunity.

I ended up with a Q80T for my gaming TV due to the nature of its use and the fact I don’t want to babysit it. Colours are vibrant and the blacks are incredibly good. I suspect the newer Samsung’s are even better. You won’t be disappointed. The visual gain of an Oled isn’t worth the risk of health bars and the like burning in for me.

Soldato
OP
The Oled worshippers can’t help themselves. They blurt out garbage at every opportunity.

I ended up with a Q80T for my gaming TV due to the nature of its use and the fact I don’t want to babysit it. Colours are vibrant and the blacks are incredibly good. I suspect the newer Samsung’s are even better. You won’t be disappointed. The visual gain of an Oled isn’t worth the risk of health bars and the like burning in for me.

I ordered an OLED and then cancelled it, I want to enjoy my TV not worry about it, and stuff like SSN is always on. Yeah that was the copnclusion I came to, the visial gain is not worth the potential downside.

Soldato
The only thing I would watch with any LCD tv is if you have a south facing living room and the TV comes with the horrible wide angle filter(which a lot of them do, all of the Samsung QLed and Sonys do), it can lead to some absolutely horrific reflections, which can be quite off putting
6q0ZxUA.jpg
HQOHPed.jpg
these are only visible if you have a south facing living room

Soldato

You don't have to babysit newer OLEDs.

What happened with you and your old Plasma couldn't happen with modern OLEDs, the screen saver comes in after so long with out any user input and it turns itself off after a while. There are logo dimmers and pixel shifters etc. Unless of course you deliberately go into the menus and disable all the power saving and protection features.

The only reason I am saying this is because you watch sports a lot. Sports looks so good on OLED. I watch football and Basketball a lot and they look fantastic. I compared a Samsung q90A(my brothers) and CX OLED. We both preferred the OLED.

Which leads me to your Question. Are the Samsung Qled Tv's any good. My brother is happy with his. And you will probably be very happy with yours if you buy one. Just be aware, Like the previous poster says, reflections can be a problem.

Soldato
OP
You don't have to babysit newer OLEDs.

What happened with you and your old Plasma couldn't happen with modern OLEDs, the screen saver comes in after so long with out any user input and it turns itself off after a while. There are logo dimmers and pixel shifters etc. Unless of course you deliberately go into the menus and disable all the power saving and protection features.

The only reason I am saying this is because you watch sports a lot. Sports looks so good on OLED. I watch football and Basketball a lot and they look fantastic. I compared a Samsung q90A(my brothers) and CX OLED. We both preferred the OLED.

Which leads me to your Question. Are the Samsung Qled Tv's any good. My brother is happy with his. And you will probably be very happy with yours if you buy one. Just be aware, Like the previous poster says, reflections can be a problem.

The fact the technology even has to exist to prevent OLED burn-in tells me there's still an issue. As I have said I'm not spending the next 5-6 years babysitting my TV which I would be doing with an OLED and I would be worrying about burn-in - that's not a fun experience for me. If they didn't have burn in I would have bought one, without hesistation. I'm not worried about reflections where it's situated and should a problem arise that's what blinds are for.

When burn-in is elimated from OLED's i'll buy one, until then I'm not taking that risk, i'm also not someone who is going to ruin his own TV experience like those on the AV forums clearly have obsessing over every detail of every screen and image until they're not satisfied with anything.

:D

I'm coming from an 9 year old mid range TV, it's going to be an amazing upgrade whatever I buy.

;)

Soldato
The fact the technology even has to exist to prevent OLED burn-in tells me there's still an issue. As I have said I'm not spending the next 5-6 years babysitting my TV which I would be doing with an OLED and I would be worrying about burn-in - that's not a fun experience for me. If they didn't have burn in I would have bought one, without hesistation. I'm not worried about reflections where it's situated and should a problem arise that's what blinds are for.

When burn-in is elimated from OLED's i'll buy one, until then I'm not taking that risk, i'm also not someone who is going to ruin his own TV experience like those on the AV forums clearly have obsessing over every detail of every screen and image until they're not satisfied with anything.

:D

I'm coming from an 9 year old mid range TV, it's going to be an amazing upgrade whatever I buy.

;)
I would always direct someone to an OLED tv but totally understand why your hesitant. If reflections aren’t an issue I would hang fire for a few months, as the new Sony Flagship LCD’s the ZK9 and the X95K are released with MiniLED, and Sony are also re implementing the backlight master drive system last used on the ZD9(probably the best LCD ever made and still superior picture quality wise to any LCD that currently available and closest to OLED black levels). This mixed with miniLED should produce some very impressive results as Sonys local dimming algorithm is head and shoulders above anyone else, add to that Sonys picture quality and scaling is superior to any other manufacturer, that’s the direction I would go.
If you have waited 9 years a few more months won’t make much of a difference.

Soldato
OP
I would always direct someone to an OLED tv but totally understand why your hesitant. If reflections aren’t an issue I would hang fire for a few months, as the new Sony Flagship LCD’s the ZK9 and the X95K are released with MiniLED, and Sony are also re implementing the backlight master drive system last used on the ZD9(probably the best LCD ever made and still superior picture quality wise to any LCD that currently available and closest to OLED black levels). This mixed with miniLED should produce some very impressive results as Sonys local dimming algorithm is head and shoulders above anyone else, add to that Sonys picture quality and scaling is superior to any other manufacturer, that’s the direction I would go.
If you have waited 9 years a few more months won’t make much of a difference.

Yeah, but brand new TV's come at brand new prices, I'm really looking at buying nowish while there's still stock, for example one TV I looked at launched £1800, now down to £1200.

Soldato
OP
Absolutely fair enough mate I would still look at Sony though even for the 2021 models

Yeah, I am doing, just been to Curry's to check out QLED V OLED - yep there's no doubt it is better, more than I expected, watched a football game and Dr Strange die by side, spoke to LG rep at length about burn in (yes bound to be biased), but assuming I'm convinced...ideally looking at 50" could do either 48" or 55" at a push (it's not going to be wall hung but in a corner) - so many options...would prefer HDMI 2.1 ideally.

Soldato
I've been reasonably careful with my 48CX, although have done plenty of long gaming sessions on a variety of different games. I've forced it to do the screen thing once and that's about it. It's nowhere near the issue it once was and if your use case would suit the benefits of OLED more, go for it.

Back
Top Bottom