Optical Cable Help

Man of Honour
Hi there - I'm struggling to understand something that is surely quite basic but I can't seem to find an explanation for it... possibly a terrible manual!

I have a Marantz 6006, image below. I want to hook it up to my PC. What's the deal with there being two Optical Inputs (top left)? This doesn't seem to be explained anywhere and the manual (PM6006 - Marantzmanuals.marantz.com › PM6006 › download › PM600...) seems to suggest that one cable gets split and goes into both? Umm...? Is it as simple as just plugging into one of the inputs? Why would you ever need two?

Very much appreciate any help as it's making me feel like a useless nooblette! Cheers!

GohCnG0.png

Permabanned
It will be for 2 devices to input (as they are both marked input not 1 in and 1 out) from like my Z906 Speakers, so one from say a PC and one from say a TV/Nvidia Shield and you choose which via a button or menu.

I think you are overthinking it, plug it in and if it gets no sound change port or change button/menu.

Man of Honour
OP
It will be for 2 devices to input (as they are both marked input not 1 in and 1 out) from like my Z906 Speakers, so one from say a PC and one from say a TV/Nvidia Shield and you choose which via a button or menu.

I think you are overthinking it, plug it in and if it gets no sound change port or change button/menu.
Thanks mate, appreciate the input. Overthinking is my speciality! The manual suggests that you can select Coaxial OR Optical 1/2... it probably means you can select Coaxial, Optical 1 OR Optical 2! ><

Man of Honour
OP
It is confusing as Digital Coax/SPDIF and Optical get mixed up and are nearly the same.
Ah, OK, maybe I am still confused because my motherboard has a "1x Optical S/PDIF Out connector"... surely that can connect with the optical port on the amp? :o :o :o

I guess it's just a case of buying cables and hoping they work :p

Edit- looking at the ports, I just need a SPDIF toslink cable I think..... Sorry to bug you!

Permabanned
An Optical cable can also be SPDIF, just buy Amazon basics brand if none here, the high end (avoiding cheap poor fitting cables) is not going to make it sound better, just the same old snake oil.

(cant find on here so hope not breaking the rules).

Optical/Toslink : AmazonBasics Digital Optical Audio Toslink Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Choice of colours with nice braiding /90 Degree Swivel: Optical Cable 1M, EMK 90 Degree Swivel Adjustable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

SPDIF = Sony/Philips Digital Interface

TOSLINK = basically Toshiba

BOTH are or can be OPTICAL cables.

"S/PDIF is a type of digital audio interconnect used in consumer audio equipment to output audio over reasonably short distances. The signal is transmitted over either a coaxial cable with RCA connectors or a fiber optic cable with TOSLINK connectors."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom