Orange Broadband

amx

amx

Associate
Not really sure what forum to post in, but my grandad has just signed up to the free broadband I get with my orange phone.

He uses an email account run from my own server and it has been working fine with tiscali for many years. I also run many other email accounts and they are all working fine, including my own.

Since switching to orange, he can receive email on this address, but cannot send any mail. He just gets an error message saying that a connection cannot be made to the server.

I've tried to phone Orange, but after 45 minutes on hold I got bored. Does anyone know if they block access to external emai providers? If so; can I get such a restriction removed.

Associate
Does your server also provide SMTP for outgoing mail?

If not, you'd have originally set up his outgoing emails to use the Tiscali SMTP, which will now reject him since he's moved to Orange Broadband.

My suggestion for now is to check which SMTP server is set up for usage.

amx

amx

Associate
Yes, my server provides smtp for outgoing mail.

It's been fine using tiscali, and still works if i switch back to tiscali (I have two active broadband enabled lines).

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
afaik, external email providers are not blocked, there would be no useful reason to do so.

Do you actually host the server yourself, or is it hosted with a hosting company? It could be that the freeserve/wannadoo/orange ip range is blocked for some reason from that end if so.

Associate
I have orange broadband (used to be wanadoo) it's nothing to do with a phone deal but mine works fine!

amx

amx

Associate
The server is hosted with a company, but the company is a very small UK based service, so it's unlikely that it is blocked / banned.

Having googled for some answers, theres been several postings on message boards suggesting that traffic on port 25 is banned unless it points at the orange smtp server.

Apparently changing the port fixes the problem, but i'm yet to receive a response from the hosting company to see if that's a possibility.

Associate
This may be different for you, but i use Orange BB with external mail servers and have had to set all my SMTP servers to Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange one's, Orange use smtp.orangehome.co.uk.

amx

amx

Associate
yeah but that means all mail will be sent from the orange address?