Orange contract coming to an end

Associate
I am currently with Orange and my contract is ending in December.

I'm on Racoon 25 / 18 month contract:
- 225 minutes
- 100 texts
- free unlimited internet
- £15/month (I have £10 Loyalty discount)

I lost my Samsung u600 so currently just have a crappy old phone, so definitely in need of something better.

I wonder what the best plan is, just ring them and pretend to cancel to see if I can get a better deal and phone?

Anybody have an idea of how good a phone that might offer me? I've just read the review of the Nokia E71 and that sound pretty good. I wonder if they will give me that.

Soldato
all I can say is good luck in trying to get anything if you want a 'high' cost phone, I've tried and it was like bleeding a stone.
I've read of people getting omnias, touch hd(intially had to pay but should be getting the money back in one of their bills) etc free on 30/month contract through retention. but from from my experience, unless you're a high spend customer Orange don't give a crap.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
last time i tried to cancel (18 months ago) they were pretty good. First offered me £10 off my line rental, i said i would think, so they gave me an extra £45 credit, making my line rental effectively £12.50. Also said I could have any phone, which at the time I picked a Samsung u600.

Associate
Orange are indeed terrible at the moment. I ended up going Vodaphone but if you really want to stay with Orange then your best best is transferring to Virgin, then getting a new contract at orange and transferring back ( thus keeping your number ).

Associate
my contract with orange officially ends on the 24th of this month. as of yet they've offered me the n96 on a £35/month 18 month contract for the bargain handset price of £399. wow what a deal. i'm off.

btw the touch hd is also availiable on o2 through mobiles.co.uk and various other online outlets.

Associate
theres a section on their website that says that customers who are renewing their contract can get the same deal as new customers? Havent looked at it in detail though.

Soldato
Orange are a bit stingy. On upgrade they wouldn't do me any deals (they didn't even want to admit that I was entitled to the loyalty bonus) and wanted £399 (or was it £299, I can't remember) for the Samsung Omnia. I went into town and Phones4u processed the upgrade and gave me the Omnia for FREE.

Soldato
orange currently offers free broad-band to pay-as-you-go customers who upgrade, think i could get them to give free mobile internet instead?

ideally looking for unlimited texts and unlimited mobile internet for under £35 a month.

Commissario
Retentions did nothing for me. I said I was leaving because I was disappointed with service and wanted a new phone. They said ok, we'll send you a PAYG sim that you need to register in order to cancel, and left it at that :(

Soldato
I was with orange for 8 years, when it came to the end of my contract i asked for a better phone and found i was nto getting nay deals worth talking about. Infact even the guys in the shop told me id be better off leaving then coming back as you get better deals! crazy.

I left.

I didnt go back, on payg and loving it. £10/2-3 months. But the HTC HD looks nice, but £40/month is crazy money.

Associate
My Partner phoned orange last night because she is getting huge £45 bills because she has been too lazy ;) to upgrade, and she got a deal which i thought was amazing considering T-Mobile wont do anything other than £5 off for me :(

She had a Free Phone (Samsung G600) and then for £10 a month she gets 300 Anytime Mins with Unlimited Landline Calls and i cant remember how many txts but a decent ammount and the Magic number thing. I mean for £10 a month with a decent phone you can't argue at all.

Like i posted on another thread here, im with T-Mobile and im paying £22.50 (with the £5 off, normaly £27.50) and T-Mobile aren't offering me any kind of upgrade at all until the end of January. Crazy !

Associate
OP
I just rang to cancel, and got offered similar to the above post.

Samsung G600 (or i think Nokia 6500 slide, and a Sony W595)
300 minutes / 100 text / unlimited landlines / free home broadband for £9.50.

Not bad price for the contract. would have liked a better phone, but I thinking of going for it since the contract is good.

Associate
OP
Does anybody have any ideas what the cheapest phone with a qwerty keyboard is. I am wondering wether to push them on the phone a bit.

Back
Top Bottom