Ordered a HTC desire,have no signal and battery life is dire! Advise please!

Soldato
battery of desire is shocking for at least 2 weeks when you get it so thats not new.
dunno about your signal depends where you live? have you checked the coverage map for orange?

Permabanned
As someone else said, you can always revert back to the original Orange firmware, if the radio update has not solved anything, which means Warranty still in tact.

Associate
The desire battery does get better after a week or so. Only problem i have is that if i charge the phone over night, i wake up and the battery is charged and the green light is on. Unplug it and it quickly drops to 90% so i always find i have to charge over night and then unplug and plug it back in to get a full 100% charge. My previous nokias used to be on standby using mains power rather than battery when plugged in.

Do you use the power saving widget so you can turn off/on wifi, gps, refresh, bluetooth and change brightness?

Also I find the desire to have the best signal out of all the phones i have had in the past 5 or so years. Nokia n97 mini was by far the worst.

Last edited:
Associate
i would like to know how you have been treating the battery since you had it?
the battery in the Desire is Lithium Ion Polymer, They don't reach full capacity until they've had between 5 and 10 cycles. Charge it fully, let it drain completely (COMPLETLY keep turning it on untill it dosent even light up) and again and again about 10 times, you can use the phone as normal once its charged. After these cycles, the battery should be fully configured

if you've been top up charging then you have probably done more harm than good
oh and get a radio update

Last edited:
Associate
Some of the battery talk astounds/worries me. I'm fully under the impression that these batteries do not want to be fully discharged as they lose life (but have no memory so top-up charges aren't bad) and should never be left on charge for longer than is necessary (say, overnight) as they are sensitive to heat and voltages which damage them. Can anyone provide evidence to the contrary? I checked multiple online sources prior to getting the phone and the battery doesn't seem to be suffering from what I've been doing.

Associate
Any luck getting through to them Gustov?

When I contacted them mid Aug they took 6 days to reply with an exchange authorisation.

Shame my replacement phone turned up with a broken screen..

It has now been 2 weeks since I first contacted them for another exchange. Admittedly I told them not to authorise a swap for the first week while I was on holiday (They authorise a 48hr window for the phone to be returned). Contacted them again when I was back and they've had another 6 days so I tried calling.

08700 80 8888, the number published on the invoice, appears to never be answered.
01923 803 333, the sales number, goes into a queue which I hung up on after a few mins.

Called up CPW from the number on the invoice and talked to a friendly chap. He told me the customer services number I have is wrong and I should call 01923 80 4444.
He was quite apologetic that he was not capable of setting up an exchange. Due to the way the two companies operate an exchange has to be originated in mobiles.co.uk.

I called the number he gave me and received this message.
Due to unforseen circumstances mobiles.co.uk is currently closed.
Hmmm
Our normal business hours will resume tomorrow
I'm not filled with confidence.

Last edited:
Associate
Some of the battery talk astounds/worries me. I'm fully under the impression that these batteries do not want to be fully discharged as they lose life (but have no memory so top-up charges aren't bad) and should never be left on charge for longer than is necessary (say, overnight) as they are sensitive to heat and voltages which damage them. Can anyone provide evidence to the contrary? I checked multiple online sources prior to getting the phone and the battery doesn't seem to be suffering from what I've been doing.

The batteries in the desire are not capable of "trickle charging" , they will charge upto 100% then discharge down to 90% before charging resumes.

I can get 2 days usage out of my desire with average usage and have a rooted froyo rom and latest radio installed.

HTC will honour the warranty whatever rom is on the phone as long as it is not the cause of the fault.

take a read here

and here

for everything you need to know about the phone and rooting ;)

Soldato
The battery is capable of trickle charging, it's the kernel that stops charging until about ~98% (IIRC) before charging back up.

The Pre 2.09 Kernel (I forget the exact version number of the kernel) was edited to allow trickle charge and the new kernel for FroYo can be changed in the same way once HTC release the source.

Associate
Called back this morning and got the same recorded message.

On a whim I tried calling back and selected Customer Services rather Returns/Exchanges. After 5 mins I got through to a young lady who said they were having trouble with their returns dept both in terms of webnotes and phone lines.

She said she could set up the exchange but.. the phone is now out of stock. Looking at the website confirms this.

Phone contract of doooooooooom.

Soldato
OP
Hi guys, here's an update. I rung up the carphone warehouse because the mobiles.co.uk helpline was down. They told me to take the handset into a store and they'll run tests and if it proves to be faulty, they'll give me a new handset.

The store gave me a brand new handset and the battery life and signal does seem to be significantly better :)

Not impressed with mobiles.co.uk at all!

Do you use the power saving widget so you can turn off/on wifi, gps, refresh, bluetooth and change brightness?

How can I do this mate?

Soldato
Hi guys, here's an update. I rung up the carphone warehouse because the mobiles.co.uk helpline was down. They told me to take the handset into a store and they'll run tests and if it proves to be faulty, they'll give me a new handset.

The store gave me a brand new handset and the battery life and signal does seem to be significantly better :)

Not impressed with mobiles.co.uk at all!

i had trouble getting through to them but they answered my emails within 48hrs
Good you can got to the CPW and do that though.

Back
Top Bottom