• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ordered the HIS 7950 iceq boost..good choice?

Soldato
This is the card that people were recommending since its price came down right? There are cheaper ones available like a sapphire one and there is the frozr (some have probs) and the gigabyte seems popular.

Cld still change to a diff one if needed as only just ordered.

Associate
Got mine today - only had a bit of time to test it before the missus squirreled it away for xmas:p

It's a big card & I kind of like the look - reminds of the gunships in half-life 2:)

It runs very quiet which is what I was expecting & the temps were ok too - idling at 31-33c & the hottest it got running Heaven was 61c (case is rv02)

A couple of test results for you - metro 2033 & heaven (stock 2500k.)

Can't wait to get it back in my system now^^

Soldato
That Heaven score is pretty much spot on when comparing with my Gigabyte X3 7950 which was a couple of frames better but running 8X anistropy and stock 900 core, I also have the same cpu also at stock. The Gigabyte is also very quiet and idles at 26-28c and max 51c running Heaven at extreme settings 1920 X 1080. The fans which are on auto have yet to go over 36%, both very good cards, good choice mate.:D

Associate
I have 2 7950's in CF, they work extremely well in this config also due to the "black hole impeller" design :)

Unigene (I am running slightly overclocked here, 1150/1325 @ 1.2v, I wasn't lucky in the silicon lottery so need some pretty high volts to achieve a moderate overclock, but CF setups do tend to be slightly worse when compared with a single card when it comes to overclocking).

Unigenebenchmark.jpg

My normal resolution is 6048x1080, so performance drops somewhat at this resolution, I lowered it for comparison with docsonic above.

Chris.

Last edited:
Associate
I got very similar results to docsonic in the heaven benchmark but my 2500k is OC @ 4.4 and my Iceq is overclocked, while his is not. Shouldn't my results be better?

Associate
I didn't realise I had mvddc adjustment on the card until this evening.

What setting could I run this at? Currently sat at 1600.

Cheers

Is that 1600 memory at stock memory voltage?

Sorry don't know anything about the memory voltage as I just left it at stock and managed 1800 on the mem.

Associate
Is that 1600 memory at stock memory voltage?

Sorry don't know anything about the memory voltage as I just left it at stock and managed 1800 on the mem.

Yes, stock memory voltage is 1600 on my cards. The memory is pretty weak on one of my cards sadly, I struggle to go past 1400 when running at 1600, I got to 1450 last night by upping it to 1640, but I don't know how far it is safe to push it.

Soldato
The memory chips on the 7950 PCB based ones don't seem to be as good as the 7970 PCB based ones.

Both my MSI TFIII V2's got to 1750 quite easily (and with extra available) on the memory whereas my IceQ won't go a notch above 1550.

Back
Top Bottom