Organ Donation by Default

Permabanned
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6902519.stm

Everyone should be seen as a potential organ donor on their death unless they expressly request not to be, England's chief medical officer says.
Liam Donaldson recommends a new system of "presumed consent" be introduced to tackle chronic shortages of organs.

One person dies each day after failing to find a suitable donor, Department of Health figures suggest.

Soldato
Can't see why not; what else are you going to do with them? Better saving someone's life than stuck in the ground/cremated.

Man of Honour
The one problem i have with this is the fact that currently when a patient is found to be a registered donor alot of medical workers dont work as hard to save them as their organs can be used to save maybe 4 people.

Before anyone is rash and dismisses my comment i heard this from a friend of mine who is a nurse who has even had doctors hint to her to let someone slip if they are found to be a donor.

I think this idea is fantastic, however, ive expressed my conerns.

Permabanned
MickeyFinns said:
The one problem i have with this is the fact that currently when a patient is found to be a registered donor alot of medical workers dont work as hard to save them as their organs can be used to save maybe 4 people.

Before anyone is rash and dismisses my comment i heard this from a friend of mine who is a nurse who has even had doctors hint to her to let someone slip if they are found to be a donor.

So a doctor may have hinted to a nurse that this may happen!

I think donation by default is a great thing as long as people have the option to choose otherwise.

Associate
MickeyFinns said:

Even if that was true (and I don't believe it for one second; I know several doctors and nurses too) then increasing the number of organ donors would only reduce the need for doctors to let their donor patients die as there'd be plenty of other donors who couldn't be saved anyway.

Soldato
As long as it is made very clear that you must opt out if you don't want to donate a part.

Permabanned
scorza said:
Is anyone going to disagree with this?
Religious people perhaps? I listened to "Beyond Belief" last week on radio 4 and they were talking about organ donation and one of the religious people on the programme said that they would only give their organs if it was to save a life.

The atheist on the programme (who they always throw in to cause trouble ;)) made a great point I thought, when he said "Who would want to believe in a God so wicked and cruel that if you donated your corneas in this life, he would make you blind for eternity in the afterlife" <which was the religious person's basic point - that you need to preserve your body for use in the afterlife>.

Soldato
MickeyFinns said:

i find that very difficult to believe ive been a nurse for 11 years now and worked in theatres, ITU, and general surgery wards and never ever heard such an thing.

as for guarenteeing a better suply of organs im all for it. the amount of kids i know that need new lungs and a heart is getting unbearable.

rotters

Caporegime
Yeah, I'd be all for it, so long as people can opt out.

That being said, I can't really think of any religions (the only objectors anyone has thought of) that would forbid it... not even the JWs if the organ transplants are done carefully, as their only objection as I understand it is to the spilling of blood.

Associate
Suprised to see that the poll on the BBC website is currently...

Should organ donation be automatic unless you opt out?
Yes - 63.63%
No - 31.79%
Not sure - 4.57%

7088 Votes Cast

Thought it would be more like 75% Yes