1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organ Donation by Default

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by anarchist, 17 Jul 2007.

1. SpeedFreak

Soldato

you know, that is the same for me, take anything but my eyes.

2. melbourne720

Wise Guy

It's worrying how selfish people are! You'd think that on their death everyone was planning to be resting in state or something!

1 of 3 things will happen to your body's organs when you die.

1. A doctor will remove them and transplant them into someone else, giving someone, possibly someone you care about, the chance of life.

2. They will be pointlessly consumed by fire in a crematorium, and the ash will be scattered or put on someone' mantelpiece in a pot. The CO2 will warm up the planet. This is currently what happens to the vast majority of people.

3. The worms will eat them.

There are people on the transplant list who die because transplant organs aren't found in time. I personally believe that if you don't carry an organ donor card you should be ineligible from receiving donor organs... discuss :eek:

Okay that last bit was a bit far, but it has a certain symmetry to it...

3. jdderbys

Gangster

Im more than happy for my organs to be donated however out of personal preference i would not like my eyes to be taken

4. Bear

Capodecina

Dont talk emotive nonsense, the state can have no claim to anyones body as mentioned before as it doesnt belong to them. Any donation (ie giving) not taking should be a process where by someone gives with consent, so an opting in system is the only way that should be in place.

This wouldnt even be an issue if all those self righteous people that want to donate werent so retarded that they cant be bothered to fill out a stupid card.

On the other point, I would happily sign a piece of paper saying I would wave any rights to recieve other peoples organs.

5. West

Sgarrista

Me, its upto me if I want to donate my organs, im one person who doesnt agree with it, im not being selfish, I just dont like the idea of someone desicrating my body.

6. melbourne720

Wise Guy

The trouble is people mostly take the path of least resistance, i.e. they won't actively get a donor card, even if on balance they probably support the idea.

I'm not talking about taking your organs Bear, or Spie's or anyone else who actively objects to it. It's the people who don't care less, that's the waste. And it's not like we're being pioneers here, it works in a lot of countries in Europe.

Emotive, certainly, apologies. :D Nonsense, what specifically is nonsense? That your organs become worm food, or are incinerated if you don't donate them, or that people die on the transplant list? Enlighten me... ;)

7. Indy500

Capodecina

The health service could always buy them from China ;)

/joke

8. Bear

Capodecina

Nonsense in that people object just because they are selfish. The government take money off us all our lives, then take money away when we are dead and now they want to take our body aswell. No its not theirs to take so it should be an opt in.

Those that want to give by opting in should take a damn good hard look at themselves and think if they werent such useless and lazy halfwits, this wouldnt even be a problem.

9. melbourne720

Wise Guy

I see your point. It isn't about being selfish. But can you see mine, that worms are eating perfectly good human organs that could reduce unnecessary deaths?

Agreed, this is a lazy person-created problem.

How about a 3rd way - everyone in the UK gets sent a form, yes or no to be an organ donor, and until you reply one way or another you'll get sent one form a week :)

10. Bear

Capodecina

That would suit me but the better option would be what someone suggested earlier. If and when you visit your doctor, you can ask to be put on the donor register and as its your wish parents cant over turn the decision. At any time you want to change your mind, you can when you next visit your doctor.

11. Vanilla

Sgarrista

I'm against this system. I shouldn't have to 'OPT Out' of anything.

It's my body and if I want my organs to go elsewhere after I die i'll let you know by saying so. I do not want to be forced to register or carry a card saying I want to opt out.

I don't need any other excuse. I don't need to tag it on religion or anything.

12. melbourne720

Wise Guy

Maybe give out the form with driving licenses, reinforce the drive safely message :D

13. Bear

Capodecina

IIRC it used to be that any RTA death the organs would be harvested.

14. Indy500

Capodecina

Presumably victims' families\loved ones objected and caused the practice to be halted?

15. Glaucus

Man of Honour

Great idea.

I find that hard to believe, The doctor has no idea if the organs can be used fro transplant. Don't they have to do tissue samples, blood matching and other such stuff?

16. CaneyJ

Hitman

Ok so out of all the people in this discussion, how many actually have organ donor cards? Oh and what is the best way of obtaining one?

17. hp01jpc

Wise Guy

Perhaps a lot of people just don't consider this until it's too late. What I mean is, there are probably lots of people out there who would be happy for their organs to be used by a third party when they die (nearly 2/3s of BBC respondents anyway) but getting a donor card is too much bother and hassle. This might sound silly, but I would not at all be surprised to learn that the reason x percentage of people don't donate is because they don't have a card, yet always thought "yea fair enough, I won't be needed that liver anymore".

I think this is a good idea. But everyone should be asked (perhaps when they next see their doctor or something) whether or not they want to opt out. Also, maybe next of kin should be given a chance to intervene on death to prevent 'harvesting' as previous posters have so nicely put it :D

18. Bear

Capodecina

Quite possibly I dont really know. I just remember when I was a student I was a hospital cleaner. I was cleaning one of the operating theatres and a doctor said hurry up a dead RTA is comming in. I asked whats the hurry if hes dead and the doctor said they were going to harvest their organs as thats what they do with RTA deaths. That was over 11 years ago.

19. Radiation

Mobster

Well said.

I strongly object to opt outs as its the principle of the thing, your being forced to do something against your will that you never agreed with or had anything to do with in the first place, why should someone go to the trouble of doing something, even if its a bit of paper work to opt out of something, thats just pathetic, you can call it lazy or selfish all you like but its wrong and goes against our personal freedoms.

Thats not to say i have problems with organ donation if it really goes to a good cause but the choice of things like this should always be opt in and the government can shove its intrusive ways up its backside.

20. Sinizterguy

Wise Guy

I dont want nobody digging around inside me and removing body parts unless I expressly allow them to.

I just see massive problems with the default opt-in. In a time where everything has a price, what do you think the price would be for someone to "arrange" a "donor" who is chronically ill and on the death bed to be "assisted" to pass away ? Probably not too much considering the chicken-poo that they pay in the NHS.

Also with the default being opt-in, there comes the problem of people deciding who they should try to save and who they shouldnt. For example a criminal and a child both come into the A&E and if the criminal dies, the child can be saved. Now if this criminal was a murderer, rapist or some such, someone on the hospital staff might decide to tip things to the side they support.

Conspiracy theory? Maybe ... but to me this seems more plausible than any other option.

I strongly support the opt-in system. The only problem with that is that there is a shortage of organs - but that has been the scenario since organ transplants started, its something I can accept - even if I am on the receiving end of the said problems.

If all of you are such do-gooders then opt-in and leave the rest as it stands now.