Organising Photos

Associate
I've a lot of photos that need organising and I finally figured it's time to get round to it. We are talking years worth now, there are duplicates, multiple folders with the same photos in, screenshots, lower res versions etc. I tried many years ago keeping up with it all with folders/files sorted by date but I think it's time for a photo manager.

What do you all use for photo management that could perhaps detect and delete duplicates/lower res copies as well? I'd rather not pay at this moment if possible which rules out Lightroom which I do hear good things about. I haven't even looked into the Photos app yet, would it be a good place to start?

Associate
OP
Cheers guys, I am now leaning towards Photos and upgrading to 50gb iCloud storage. I guess being in the Apple ecosystem it makes the most sense for me. I've just opened Photos and it's got a lot of photos already in there some from 9 years ago so god knows when that started organising itself lol.

I'll have a look at google/amazon as well though, thank you.

Associate
OP
I'm well overdue a new Mac but funds are tight so I'll just be having to make do for a few more years so I can tell this is going to be arduous lol.

I've started transferring folders over but I have noticed duplicates within Photos already. Is there a folder all files are kept that I can run an external scanner like PhotoSweeper that I've used before to delete the duplicates easily? I know Apple can sometimes make things like that difficult so I hope it's not the case.

Otherwise I might be better off putting everything in one folder, running an external program then transferring to Photos.

Associate
OP
Just to update I used PhotoSweeper as it already had a link straight to the Photos library, ran an exact photo scan and 27k photos down to 12k lol. Next job to delete similar looking photos taken seconds apart and screenshots. So far I'm impressed how easy it's been although I've not used Photos much yet besides importing everything so hopefully it'll be a decent photo manager.

Back
Top Bottom