Origin of the Term Firewall

Permabanned
I was wondering to myself why we use this term firewall, to describe security software.

What is the origin of the term firewall? I don't want you to use google but post in this thread if you know its origin.

I'll give you some steam trading cards.

Man of Honour
It comes from the ancient Roman translation of 'igneous rock' which they shipped all over the place to fortify their city battlements as it's so goddamn hard.

Useless facts for the win \o/

Caporegime
I'll have a guess.
All those fires in forests are stopped by firewalls which are actually trees that are cut down so the fire can't spread.

Now can I Google?

And Arknor, WIKI is cheating.

I knew cars had firewalls before I went to the wiki

Soldato
I knew cars had firewalls before I went to the wiki

Quick, tell Ferrari!

k219.jpg

Permabanned
It comes from the ancient Roman translation of 'igneous rock' which they shipped all over the place to fortify their city battlements as it's so goddamn hard.

Useless facts for the win \o/

Lol..notsureifserious.

Firewall is simply a partition erected to stop the spread of fire between structures. It dates back to the mid 18th Century.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

What you want to do is tweet it through your tumblr Wordpress rss plugin

Man of Honour
It's from a medieval method of reinforcing the wall of a building. Daub mixed with crushed stone is loaded into a device like a large crossbow - larger than a single-person crossbow but smaller than a ballista - and fired at the wall to be reinforced, quickly adding an extra layer. It was particularly useful for larger walls because it removed the need for scaffolding to be erected. Cement was used by instead of daub if the people knew how to make cement.

This thread reminds me of Call My Bluff.

Permabanned
It's from a medieval method of reinforcing the wall of a building. Daub mixed with crushed stone is loaded into a device like a large crossbow - larger than a single-person crossbow but smaller than a ballista - and fired at the wall to be reinforced, quickly adding an extra layer. It was particularly useful for larger walls because it removed the need for scaffolding to be erected. Cement was used by instead of daub if the people knew how to make cement.

This thread reminds me of Call My Bluff.

Your bluff is called....

Good story though...:D

Back
Top Bottom