1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Original Quake online?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Guest2, 5 Jul 2014.

1. Guest2

Capodecina

Whilst I enjoy Quake live and its is great multiplayer for free, I wondered if original quake is available to play online

I fired it up this morning and its still a fantastic single player game. I played multiplayer over LAN at college and it was the best game around at the time.

Possible now with a decent lobby?

2. Nemeses

Perma Banned

Doubt it, but if you find one, let me know.

3. Guest2

Capodecina

Job done! Just went into Multiplayer options and chose to join darkroom games and a couple came up. Straight in!

Darkroom is the mod that comes with Quake Steam install - not sure how to get rid of it but it works pretty well anyway

4. ncjok

Gangster

QuakeWorld, in my opinion, is one of the original daddies of online FPS.

You'll need original ID1\PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK to get started - there is still great interest in a small subset of base maps. Naturally you can also find many 3rd party maps to play on, some of which will feature more prominently in duel, 4on4 and FFA rotation.

ezQuake / nQuake and the QuakeWorld.nu community site should help you get going.

5. Rroff

Man of Honour

Someone was working on making something similar to QL with tentative permission from id (before bethesda acquisition) but I don't have the site in the bookmarks on this laptop and not sure if went anywhere anyhow.

6. Guest2

Capodecina

7. jubei

Mobster

Thats not an opinion, its a fact.

8. stooeh

Wise Guy

I randomly came across something that sounds like that last night. A game in pre alpha called Reflex?

http://www.reflexfps.net/

Looks just like Quake :D

9. Rroff

Man of Honour

Wasn't that, there is actually a web player for the shareware version of quake lol (also not what I was talking about) Annoyingly I seem to have lost the link or it was on an older PC.