Orthopedic backrest!

Soldato
Does anyone use such a thing. I have recently started working for myself at home. I have a very comfy chair, but comfortable is not always ideal when your sitting in something for 10-12 hours. I do take breaks, but I also train at the gym a lot so my muscles could do with some support.

I have started to develop two problems, lower back ache that is radiating down my leg, which I then support with pillows and pain radiates through my shoulder.

I am clearly not sitting correctly, and I need something desperately before I do some damage, but I know nothing about the appropriate cushioning.
I know I can easily buy such a cushion on Ebay but will I be buying a lemon.

Alternatively are there certain type of chairs designed for prolonged periods of sitting, that don't cost in excess of £100.
Thanks

Soldato
Well...it's an oversimplification of course as everyone is different and has different reasons for pain but the simple answer is when you sit at an office chair it puts your back into a slumped position.

It's not designed to be like that, it's designed to have a slight bend in it, putting a wedge cushion on your chair makes you sit up straight putting your back into it's correct position.

Office posture chairs do the same thing but cost more, I have had back problems for years and have a chair where I can move all sorts, it has a seat tilt function which does the same job, puts my back in it's correct alignment.

Soldato
I should add you are absolutely correct about doing something before you do some damage. I used to sit slumped all the time and simply reaching down one day I put my back out, no slipped discs or anything as drastic, I just pulled something which made my whole back spasm and lock up, I was laid on the floor on my front in agony not able to move position because of the pain.

It's created a weak point ever since so I do have to be careful with it, some very simple actions and even dawdling rather than walking quickly can make it hurt 10+ years after initially damaging it. Thankfully most of the time I am pain free now, except for the occasional sciatic pain down my leg.

Your back (as with the rest of your health I suppose) really is something you take completely for granted until something goes wrong.

Soldato
Thighs parallel to the floor, femurs anyway, so the upper leg will appear to slope down.

If you're really intersted in posture, get yourself a gymball and sit on it, or a saddle seat, that should certainly encourage good posture, as you said comfort is not the same as support.

Back
Top Bottom