|OT| of Todge tries to lose weight after occasionally eating 7,000 cals a day.

Soldato
I'm 26, 6'1" around 230lb, married, own home in the green belt inside the southern M25. At 18 I weighed in at about 180lb but like everyone else the active lifestyle at school ended and a VERY sedentary job started and eating habits got worse. I work 12 hour shifts in blocks of 4 or 5 in a row followed by blocks of 4 or 5 days off in a row.

It seems that I carry 230lb quite well as no one ever believes me. I need a 38" loose fit in most jeans to get my thighs and ass in only to then need a belt to stop the damned things hanging around my knees. usually I can pinch at least 2" on the waistband of the jeans.

My wife has an issue with things like beef/lamb/pork which all give her guts ache within minutes so we really only have chicken, turkey and fish for the most part at home. If we go out for dinner I might have a steak or a burger or ribs just for a change of pace. We only cook whole wheat pasta and basmati/brown rice, rarely use oil of any kind to cook and will often have things like dry fry stirfry with a tuna steak, turkey mince bolognese, turkey pasta bake etc etc.

some days my intake might be:
breakfast - Dorset Cereals muesli & natural Yogurt
lunch - roast chicken wrap with lettuce, pepper, red onion with a little sweet chilli sauce
dinner - tuna steak and stir fry/pasta bake/turkey & vegetable curry w/ brown rice/etc

with also maybe 2 oranges and 2 apples as snacks with 3 or 4 pints of water.

Another day (today for example):
Breakfast - half a large bag of cadbury milk buttons
brunch - large bag of thai chilli sensations crisps
lunch - 230g cadbury chocolate bar
later lunch - 6" subway club on wheat no cheese

Why did I eat that? because I bought it yesterday when I went out for lunch and it was waiting to be eaten. I just spack out when getting lunch sometimes and fill a basket with crap. I've measured that on occasion I've munched over 7,000 calories in one 12 hour shift at work. All on biscuits, crisps, doughnuts, etc etc. Other days I eat a fairly well balanced healthy 2000 or less.

I know I need to sort my diet out and cut that stuff out. I've done it before and know that its getting to the point where I have little choice but to do it again and stick to it else I'll end up like my old man (52, 360lb+, going in for bariatric surgery soon, bad knees and so on). The issue I have is that even WHILE eating that stuff I feel sick and feel like crap afterwards. Yet I still do it like a fool.

In the past i've had gym memberships that I had a love hate relationship with. There were times where I'd be in there 15+ days a month doing about 90 minutes of cardio/weights and others where I just couldn't be bothered to go for 3 months despite paying £65 p/m (virgin active). The times when I was going I loved it and it was making a difference in not only my physique but also my mental health.

I was never able to jog at 6mph for more than about 2 miles/20 minutes but I could do a hard programme on a bike or rower for 30 and step straight on to the other feeling tired but still able to carry on.

As for weights my arms are genuinely feeble but my legs have still got plenty of strength in them. I used to get a pain in my wrist from lifting dead weights before I had to stop from any over exertion in my muscles though.

With my work and commute, gym time and pretty much anything else is out of the question on work days but then I'm off for 4 or 5 in a row and I am usually up early so can hopefully get my ass to the gym on those days.

My nearest gym is Donyngs Community Centre with monthly non contracted membership at £40 a month for the gym or £45 for gym, pool & classes. I have no idea if its a nice place as I've not yet been (at work as I write).

On Friday I'll update this with pics of my hefferosity, official starting weight, leg, arm, ass, waist, chest measurements and a view on the gym. If you are interested in how I get on or want to help keep me going go ahead and post. I know this isn't the first "help i'm fat help me" thread though so no worries if not :)

I'm not after a ripped body, I'm not after Hulk arms. I just want to get control of my body back and be able to run around for 15 minutes without being exhausted. I know that the first battle I need to win is my obsession with crisps/biscuits & sweets.

TL;DR
I have always been able to get away with eating junk despite knowing how to eat well. That time has passed and I've realised I need to do something about that before it's too late and too hard. Tag along if you like, no foul if not.

Thursday Update:
I've found out some more details for the gym i'll be attending.
  • Its just finished the large part of a £3.4 million refurb with a whole new gym, machines and weights.
  • membership is not on a contract. If you want to cancel at any time you can and there is no penalty or initial joining fee.
  • They do a range of classes (though no spinning apparently) as well as offering courts for squash and badminton which is something i've been looking to play a little for a while now. Squash is £6.50 for 45mins off peak and £9 peak. Non members can come in for a £1.20 admission fee

So I'm booked in for 8:30 tonight for my "don't fall off the treadmill" induction in the gym. Once I've dropped the in-laws foster kids off at school tomorrow I'll head to the gym and see what I can do. I've no doubt that it'll be wrong in one way or another but that's why I'm posting here so that you can correct me :)

Friday Update
Ok, scales said the damage is 233.4lb. My phone is chocked with Pendulum, my contact lenses are in so its off to the gym much later than I wanted to go.

Last edited:
Associate
Good post, but i didn't see a goal there. Losing weight could be a 1lb or 100lbs. Do you have a specific target weight in mind, a waist size that you think is ideal?

Firm up your goals, and set periods of time to achieve them and it should make things more manageable.

Good Luck.

Soldato
Good luck with your goals.

I did similar a year or so ago, I was 210lbs & 6' 2".
Since making the decision to do something about it I've lost 3 1/2 stones now & gone from a 36" to a 32" waist.
I cycle quite a bit these days & along with walking I probably clock up 100+ miles a week.
My diet is more balanced then ever before, but the big thing I've cut out is drinking.

I still have the odd pint when we go out, but a couple of years ago I could happily drink 8 pints 3 or 4 nights of the week.

Keep us updated on how you get on & well done on making that first step.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good post, but i didn't see a goal there. Losing weight could be a 1lb or 100lbs. Do you have a specific target weight in mind, a waist size that you think is ideal?

Firm up your goals, and set periods of time to achieve them and it should make things more manageable.

Good Luck.

In all honesty I don't know where to aim for. The first step is going to be getting into a size 36 pair of jeans which at the moment I can only do if I cut the legs off :p

Thank you all for the support, it's difficult talking to family/friends about this as they say I'm fine.

Today was the first day at the gym but I didn't manage to get there until 10:45 as I had to drop the in laws foster kids at school. It's clear that the gym part of the community centre has been done up as it looks much better than the rest of the facilities which are now all being worked on as well.

The gym has probably 20 treadmills, 10 bikes, maybe 15 cross trainers and 5 rowers. Then there are the usual free weights, weight machines & yoga balls. Its nice and large and airy which is great, I've been to a few gyms that have really low ceilings and it just feels a bit dingy. There are also about 6 squash courts, unknown badminton courts, nice big pool, cafe etc.

Anyway, I managed to knock out 20 mins on the treadmill (incline 3, only 2.5km supposedly 250 cals) 45mins on the bike (20km and supposedly 420 cals) and then 13 mins on the rower (3km & setting 10). The sweat was dripping off me and actually forming pools on the handlebars of the bike, white t-shirt was utterly drenched and the hinge where my legs meet my ass is sore but that I'm sure if from the saddle on the bike. It felt at one point like no blood was getting past my butt.

After that I needed to get some shopping as our fridge/cupboards were practically empty. £98 later they looked much better and now have plenty of fruit, pasta, turkey, fish to last a week or so. And most importantly for me, I didn't buy anything that lives in the evil parts of the store. No sweets, biscuits, crisps or (shock horror) any cinnamon whirls off of the bakery. No soft drink either but we never really have any anyway.

So a good start I think. Tomorrow I'll be aiming for more on the rower (I know I can hit 10k) a more comfortable bike seat and a faster possibly longer run on the treadmill.

EDIT:

Well I just took some measurements and i'm a little surprised that my waist is as big as it is but it is what it is. My 38 jeans still fit with room to spare so I'm a 38 :p

boobs(nipps) 41"
chest 38"
belly button 40"
waistline 40"
butt 47"
thighs 27.75"
calves 18.5"

Last edited:
Soldato
Good work regards the food but take your time with regards the gym - DON'T over do it to start with.

Aim for a small amount of weight loss a week - 1 or 2lbs is advisable (although you can lose lots to begin with)

Best of luck and stick with it!

Associate
You are a similar size to me when i started in October. I was 6' 3 and weighed 246lbs with a 40" waist.

I started by setting myself a target of 2100 cals a day with one cheat day a week - up to about 2600 cals. I did cardio and weights 3 or 4 times a week and lost 2lbs pretty much every week. I bought some food scales so that i could measure the cals in everything i made to eat.

I strongly belive that the food management played by far the bigger part in my weight loss. The gym/cardio work help define my shape and improved my fitness and feelings of well-being.

Good luck with your journey.

Soldato
OP
Day 2 much harder at the gym though I suppose that is to be expected. 5km on the rower, setting 10, averaged 4:30 minute KMs, 45 on a recline bike which was only 17km and a total of 35 mins on the treadmill but 20 of that was a 2km walk @ 6kph. My feet were burning like crazy on the bike but it was much more comfortable on my butt.

Still over 90 minutes total though so its better than a poke in the eye. I'm having a rest tomorrow so that I can go back Monday and Tuesday hopefully a bit fresher. After that i'm at work for 5 days so can't do anything :(

I'll obviously not post every day, maybe once a week with a summary, weight and measurements.

Soldato
OP
Wasn't going to post today but I wanted to share that I completed 5km on the treadmill today. Took me about 41 mins so I'm not going to be winning any races but the simple fact that I stayed at it was massive for me. About 2km were done at a steady 8kph and the rest at either 5kph or short stints at 9/12 kph with the final 250m at 15kph.

Also got 40 minutes out of the bike on a hill climb programme.

I'm at the gym again tomorrow and then working 12 hr days for 5 days so cant go again until next Wednesday. Hopefully I control myself with the food while i'm working as thats usually my biggest challenge since i'm bored off my ****.

Back
Top Bottom