Other peoples phones on my network?

Caporegime
I generally don't check my network via file explorer, because it's only since I've got a new TV that I've started to see if it was connecting for streaming. But every so often, other peoples phones keep appearing and I'm wondering is this normal?

ohr2b4.jpg

I've set up my router to only allow specific mac codes through, but they are still showing up

Caporegime
OP
Checked router : WPA2-PSK (AES) & WPA2-PSK Security Encryption is enabled with password set.

Enable Wireless Access Point
Enable WPS
Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID)

Was enabled ^

:

Wireless Station Access List

Trusted List : My Phone d0:5b:*

Soldato
You haven't been opted in to turn your router into a public hotspot have you? I know lots of isp's do this now. I know it shouldn't show up on your network or use your own bandwidth though.

Perhaps just change the password, see if that kicks it off.

Can you browse the contents of these strange phones? Would be interesting to access the photo library's :D

Soldato
It's a random Windows bug that's been persisting for a while now. It shows phones nearby scanning for networks but not actually connected to your wireless.

There's a couple of fixes here: http://superuser.com/questions/976750/windows-10-phones-appearing-in-network

Solution: I disabled WPS (also called WCN in Windows) on the router.

In the forum, someone solved this by disabling the Windows service "Windows Connect Now". If you have many PCs on the network that solution is not the best. So, modifying the router setting for WPS stops this for all PCs.

Caporegime
OP
Ah thanks Orcvader, that may be it :)

and thanks everyone else who replied, they don't seem to be able to browser the computer as such and only things that are accessing the folders are the ones set, such as my TV. Even then it's only the public ones, docs/pics etc ( these are empty bar the odd tv episode )

Back
Top Bottom