"Our attempts to make Formula One greener is ruining the sport" - Bernie Ecclestone

Godfather
Godfather
This season there are new fuel regulations to go with the quieter V6 turbo engines that have replaced the screaming V8s.

But ahead of tomorrow's Malaysian Grand Prix, F1 boss Ecclestone believes they have got it badly wrong.

"The noise is better than I thought but it's more a sportscar noise," he said. "It is not aggressive enough, it's not what people think of when they think of F1.

"We need to do better."

"It sounds terrible on television, too quiet, and here in Malaysia it is better but probably because down the straights they have roofs on the stands that catch the noise."

Ecclestone has always been against the change to V6s but lost the battle with FIA president Jean Todt, who is determined that his legacy will be more environmentally-friendly motorsport.

"It's not my product, I didn't invent this, I was against it from the start, did not want it. There was no need for them," said Ecclestone.

"I did explain to the FIA World Council that if fuel saving was a problem then we could ask the teams to cut down the motorhomes by half, and instead of Mercedes sending 23 trucks with their motorhome they could cut that.

"If you work out how much fuel the trucks use it is a nonsense compared with the fuel used by the cars.

"We were talking for three years about cost cuts and what happens? You put these engines in and the teams have to spend many millions."

The changeover is the most complicated in F1 history with engines made a third more fuel efficient with the addition of two energy conversion units, which make up in power for the loss of two cylinders.

Noise is power, and using exhaust gases efficiently has caused the quietening.

One suggestion is allowing the teams to channel 20 per cent more gases to the exhaust to create more roar.

"I am concerned that we might lose promoters, sponsors," said Ecclestone. "The Singapore race promoter is here and he said that if they lose a lot of public then they will definitely stop.

"Australia is not happy, the Americans are not happy."

Red Bull boss Christian Horner admits he expects to come a cropped of the new rules again after Daniel Ricciardo was kicked off the podium in Australia for breaking the fuel flow regulations.

Red Bull suffered another failure of the fuel-flow sensor in practice yesterday and Horner said: "Hopefully it will behave for the rest of the weekend.

"If it doesn't then we will find ourselves in an awkward situation.

"We will try to work with the FIA, but then you are faced with the same dilemma as occurred in Australia a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully we can agree something that's sensible.

"F1 is a sport and when technology becomes too prevalent and confuses fans and teams it is not good. Is it good for the sport? No, if it is too complicated."

Source - http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/ot...reener-is-ruining-the-sport-Bernie-Ecclestone

Soldato
Watching the Gp this morning for the first time this season, really not a an of the new engines / regs at all. Bring the old ones back!

I can agree to a certain extent with changes to the sport in order to bring more "up-to-date" but not this but It's ruined F1 for me :( BE lost it a while back if you ask me.

Soldato
I have no real problem with the new engines, I like the new sound, would nice if it to be a tad louder, but from a TV watcher point of view, I don't really have a strong preference to them changing it or leaving it..
I'll likely only ever watch f1 on TV, not been to a race, and unless someone pays for me to go to one I would be very unlikely ever to go.
But I can understand from a race goers pointmof view, I've been to many rally/track events in my time at the sound is a big part of the experience.

Out of curiosity, how do you suggest they fix the issue?
I hear a lot of whinging/moaning but not a lot of productive suggestions.
They can hardly back track after the tens of millions that have been sunk into the development by each team, and the interest from other manufacturers such as Honda.
I really don't see a quick or even long term fix, surely the lack of noise is inherit to the turbo/ERS design of the engines, or we would have seen differing noise levels from different teams/engine manufacturers.
Are you suggesting that they should again change regulations and force the teams to spend further tens of millions more on making the engines louder, when they could be putting that money into making the car faster? I know if I were a manufacturer what I'd rather spend my money on.

Its difficult, do they alienate the fans who flock to the races all over the world, or do they punish the engine manufacturers by forcing them to redesign the engines/exhaust systems only a year after implementing the new regs.

Caporegime
Instead of having more noise then everyone wearing ear protectors, just wear some big headphones and play loud car noises if you for some reason think the sound is that important.

They are still very very fast cars, faster down the straights slower in corners. More actual driving. F1 needs fairly big rule changes, and smaller and bigger engines at various times. If we had the same engines for even longer it would have been even more boring. Big changes every few years keeps the development going, new idea's and shakes up the order, without that the sport would be woeful.

Man of Honour
I like the new engines and focus. I don't see it ruining the sport at all. It is either this or call it a day because the major players aren't interested in anything else.

Soldato
Like it or not, this is the new Formula 1 and bar tweaks it will be here to stay for a while.

If it's not your thing, go watch WEC, NASCAR or some other series.

Soldato
I love F1, I follow it every year however this year I am struggling to enjoy it.

The sound was the first thing I noticed on the first race, it just isn't what you expect from an F1 car and it just doesn't add to the experience. It just feels really slow and boring, from the sound to the braking (or not as the case may be) on corners it just doesn't feel like F1.

I'll give it a couple more races but I'm not going to keep watching it if I don't enjoy it.

Soldato
Remove DRS and remove double points. Sadly i think the engines are here to stay. Look at how many car companies are making v12's now? The majority are making turbo charged v8's so i highly doubt we will see anything more than a v8 ever again for a long time.

Formula 1 should go back to v12 or v10 engines, it's a spectator sport after all it creates a unique atmosphere for the travelling fans who spend thousands to go to a race. That was one of the reasons people go to F1 races to be blown away by the noise.

I wouldn't really be bothered going to an F1 race now as the sound of the loud engines is the identity of F1.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Well they've lost me, I switched off the race today with 20 laps to go & my fave driver leading. My Rant is in the other thread but basically it is **** them all for ruining a Sport I Love.

Soldato
If we're complaining about noise, can we also complain about ugly Ferrari noses, I believe their current car is the ugliest they have made since the airbus they built with the middle wing, potentially even worse than it.
Cars with six wheels looked better.

Caporegime
I actually watched the btcc live today and will watch the high lights of F1 later. The sound is one thing but it just seems boring now to watch. Infact it has been boring for me the past couple of season. I think 2010 was the last time I enjoyed a season of F1.

F1 for many seasons has been a eco cruise rather than all out racing.

Back
Top Bottom