Outdoor camera - long life, battery powered?

Associate
Hi all,

I want to see if there’s a suitable outdoor camera to catch whoever has been hanging dog poo bags in my tree at the end of the drive.

It would be tricky to get power to the area, so something battery powered and motion based would be ideal - obviously discrete a preference too...

Does such a thing exist? Would a standard wildlife tracker do the job? Not worried about cost for a solution that works.

Thanks in advance

Associate
What do you want to spend? I have Eufy cameras which are 1 year battery. Needs a base station though so needs the kit. Not cheap though but could be added to their doorbell which uses same base station.

mine are Eufy Camera 2’s. Come with 2 mounting options too. Can be placed anywhere and just charge up for 8 hours once per year.

Soldato
I have a blink setup and the batteries are expected to last around 1 year, small cameras as well so should be ok if you're not mounting them too far from the little base station.

Soldato
Sounds like a standard battery operated wildlife camera would do the trick.

I have one of the Apeman H45 camouflaged wildlife cameras which works a treat for catching the local wildlife as well as my neighbour when he hunts on my property (with my permission).

If you have another tree 5-10 metres away from the “poo” tree, that would be ideal for mounting the camera on.

Soldato
I have 2 XT2's and both camera's have been running well over a year with no need to change the batterys but if its in a high activity area with people walking past all the time the notifications will drive you nuts and the batterys wont last anywhere near as long

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the feedback - I think there's a couple of avenues to explore here, but good to have the Eufy recommended as I was also looking for a doorbell camera so could look at that for home, and maybe something like the Apeman H45 that I can then use for this particular instance, and then relocate in future if I want to actually catch the wildlife in my back garden (also I think the Apeman would allow for it to be truly remote and not needing a connection back to the house system at all - just need to make sure it's positioned right).

It's quite a high traffic area which is a slight concern (which is why I am amazed that no one has seen anything) so night vision important, and perhaps just need to set it up for a few hours at a time as opposed to an all day/all night job.

It would be much nicer not to have poo bags hung in the tree to be honest, I can't believe people... but again, thank you to all for the feedback.

Soldato
Might be a daft suggestion, but what about a fake CCTV obviously positioned with a small sign near the tree saying it's now monitored? Possibly the mere thought of it now being on CCTV might deter them?

Associate
Might be a daft suggestion, but what about a fake CCTV obviously positioned with a small sign near the tree saying it's now monitored? Possibly the mere thought of it now being on CCTV might deter them?

Good idea - I would try this first as a cheap alternative to see if it cures the problem initially.

Soldato
Man of Honour
If you happen to get decent footage of who is doing this, what do you intend to do? You say its a high traffic area which suggests you most likely won't know them?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the additional suggestions. I did think about the fake CCTV option, but it's just that it'll push the problem on and I'd really like to deter people from doing this (hanging poo bags from trees is mystifying to me, why go through the effort of picking up just to artfully hang it in a tree?)

As for what I do when I find out, probably report to the Council - littering is still a punishable offence? I'm not going vigilante on people... High traffic in that a lot of vehicles pass by, less people on foot as it's quite rural... and a sure fire way to find any local dog owners is to set off a firework and see who complains on the local Facebook group.

I did also think about getting a long range camera and setting that up in another position (I have an outbuilding that I could use - it's further away, and would require angling in just the right way, but might work), but that would probably only open up a whole array of expensive options - so the idea of sticking something up in the early morning/late evening and then checking it after half a day or so appeals (so long as it's not spotted and stolen...)

Back
Top Bottom