Outdoor Climbing Plants

nam

nam

Soldato
Hi All
Looking to add some privacy to rear wooden fence and side fencing. I hope some gardening experts can advise what type of climbers i should buy and would i also need trellis

Thank you

nam

nam

Soldato
OP
yes I was looking for height above the fence. I have seen some frames which you can make yourself or buy ready made trellis. Just looking at quick and easy solutions

Clematis are good. Trellis gives it something to climb on, but are you wanting height above the fence?

Soldato
Ivy is self supporting and the large leaved, variegated types are easy if a little dull, not so good in sunny spots as they tend to get baked. Hyrdangea petiolaris is nice for shady north facing spots once you get it established it'lll slowly spread over the fence with white flowers summertime. If you can provide support i.e. mesh Clematis Montana is a terrific goer and two or three will easily cover a run of fence and provides masses of pink or white flowers may-june which are fragrant, the only issue is you'll need to keep it trimmed during the season or it'll want to take over the neighbours place as well.

Soldato
My clematis both die off during the winter. The Ivy we have here grows well all year round so would provide better coverage if it’s privacy you’re after.

Soldato
we have a section with climbing roses (they have come on a lot since pic) and just use old branches to form arches ,roses are awesome as they take almost no care ,also some bamboo like grass (not bamboo) down there

IMG-20200524-153129.jpg

IMG-20200524-153118.jpg

Back
Top Bottom