Outdoor worktop

Associate
Last year I set up an outdoor eating / food prep area and all was good. The only downside to the whole project was my choice of worktop. I went for an oak one that was going cheap and sealed it with several coats of outdoor varnish.

Alas it appears that this was not sufficient and now have a very warped and bowed worktop and one not too happy Mrs S.

Am now looking at a more suitable alternative and have been contemplating forming a concrete top in situ.

From looking at a few videos on You Tube it appears to be failry straightforward to do, and have noticed that afew people have used the Z-Form plastic forms to achieve this.

Have found a retailer that delivers to the UK but costs wise it is going to be somewher in the region of £300 for the forms, mesh, clips and additive.

Has nayone any experience with this product? Is it worth the money or can what I want to achieve be done with some good old wooden shuttering and good luck?

Caporegime
If you'd still prefer wood then perhaps look into epoxy resin rather than a few coats of varnish. Something like this http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/...ssCast-Clear-Epoxy-Surface-Coating-Resin.html (that may not be specifically for outside use but others will).

That's a US product but gives an example of the method.

You basically pour it on and it creates a complete seal of a few mm, and should last you a long time, rather than just some thin coats of varnish.

Alternatively you could always look for a piece of stone worktop someone is throwing out (gumtree or similar) and use that. It may well be cheaper and will certainly look nicer.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
look on ebay, you get second hand granite or even marble worktops for dirt cheap(compared to their original value). people rip out old kitchens all the time. As long as its big enough you can then chop or pay someone to chop it down to your size.

even resin does last particularly well in sunshine for long, even ones that say they are UV resistant.

Soldato
another vote for old granite kitchen tops. At our old place, when we did the kitchen, I got the company doing the new worktops to cut down the old granite tops and we got an outside table and bar (and a few other bits) for next to no cost and its zero maintenance.

Associate
OP
Old granite ones do sound very tempting. Will have a look.

Also been looking at doing it in another way and can get some PVC square edge for £16 for enough, then just need to get cement base board (which I would have needed any way) some rebar type of inlay, then the mix. Reckon I could get it all in for about £50 or so

Associate
OP
The only problems with the granite option are 1-getting it from where it is to my place and then the more influential 2-Don' think Mrs S will like the look s it will not fit in with the 'theme' of the garden

Caporegime
Stone comes in many different styles, at least one should fit. You could even get it roughed up, although that may cost a bit if you get it done professionally (honed/flamed).

Back
Top Bottom