1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook for the economy in 2010 and beyond

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by dirtydog, Jan 3, 2010.

1. El Capitano

Mobster

U

Well, actually, you can. A lot of countries do it. It's probably not sustainable long term, but you can use it to grow for a while and then change when it becomes untenable.
    If you produce more internally and it's all consumed internally, you'be still grown.
    Most developed countries have run a spending deficit for the vast majority of the past century. The UK has barely ever run a surplus in living memory. The trick is to grow your economy (or inflate your currency) faster than the debt piles up. You're somewhat right in that if you do pile the debt too high it'll come tumbling down, but we're not there yet and our debt:GDP even now after years of heavy deficits aren't far removed from comparable countries.

2. El Capitano

Mobster

Yes, agreed, but that's not really the fault of having a benefits system. I have been concerned about the number of British (or at least nominally British) firms getting swallowed up by foreign conglomerates these past several years. Hell, I work for one such company right now.
    Actually, you're probably right, apologies on that one.

3. q974739

Hitman

Small near term prediction. Jitters for last quarter caused by flooding.

Labour and co will blame mismanagement.

4. Judgeneo

Capodecina

So Interest Rates are probably going to rise in 2015 according to the BoE.

Good news for the UK probably, but annoying for me as today I got my first pay check I'll actually be able to start saving from.

5. Von Smallhausen

Man of Honour

Labour don't have much credibility when it comes to arguing over mismanagement.

6. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Given that the Tories cut the flood defence budget as one of their first acts so, in this case, they probably have a point.

7. q974739

Hitman

I'd argue that - the reports of dredging not being done for decades is, I'd imagine, a bigger problem. Further, isn't the Environment Agency run by an ex-Labour minister?

8. q974739

Hitman

No, they don't - but they will anyway.

9. Mr Jack

Capodecina

But, as repeatedly pointed out by people who actually know what they're doing and ignored by people who don't, dredging is an expensive and largely ineffective approach to flood management. Most likely it would simply have relocated where flooded.

Possibly. But the Environment Agency have done really pretty well through the flooding so it doesn't seem so bad.

10. Pinkribbonscars

Hitman

Indeed. In a shocking turn of events, it appears that governments of all colours are incompetent!

11. Baron C

Wise Guy

Really, and there was me thinking that governments were full of Geniuses.

There was a programme on BbC the other week, detailing the current state of the Chinese economy, not looking too healthy over there by its account.

My business partner got back from China after a 6month stint and confirmed similar scenario.

12. V F

Capodecina

13. Stretch

Capodecina

There's also quite an interesting article I read the other day suggesting the Chines are the ones who "fooled" Peston.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/eamonnfingleton/2014/02/23/a-lesson-in-propaganda-how-china-fooled-the-bbc-the-new-york-times-and-other-wishful-thinkers/

You have to ask yourself, would the Chines authorities allow such are damning documentary to be made on Chinese soil if there weren't an ulterior motive?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  14. Slam62

Soldato

The man who wrote that article has an agenda as well.

So by his own argument why should I believe him.

He doesn't really state much in the way of hard fact.

Either way, it doesn't matter.

Back to the UK economy , I find it interesting that we appear to have created another even bigger house price bubble.

15. kitch9

Soldato

Yes the proliferation of 110% self certifying mortgages truly is a concern. Did the banks not learn anything?

16. Meridian

Man of Honour

Yes, they learned that "too big to fail" is real. And they learned that the government will always bail them out.

17. kitch9

Soldato

The economy is a massive ponzi scheme with effectively unlimited amounts of money feeding it so the pyramid just gets bigger effectively forever.

18. kitch9

Soldato

Why would any economy with access to unlimited money allow their banks to fail?

19. El Capitano

Mobster

Conflating a ponzi scheme with a pyramid scheme is not going to make you look informed.

20. Meridian

Man of Honour

If you are talking about the ability of governments to print money, you might want to read up on the consequences of that. And economics.