1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outlook for the UK economy in 2015 (and beyond)

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Mr Jack, May 13, 2015.

1. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

We all saw how 'stabilising prices' happened eg when the beef and other supplies were hit. Prices rocketed. No these are junkets devised for farmers. French seem to be the main drivers for farm subsidies.

That's not to say that the CAP couldn't still do with tweaking (it still pays farmers to tear out woodland, and subsidises grouse moors) but it's much better than it was.

With Govt finances stretched and if they cannot get a services agreement like the one they have how long will that last? As long as the £350M/wk to the NHS?

2. Stretch

Capodecina

The same is true for businesses and the government.

3. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Only to a certain extent. Older generations expectations were lower and they did not get the 'must have' item but generally kept the one they had until it broke down or could not be repaired. That is def. one thing that is in decline, repairing appliances. You used to have shops on the high street that not only sold you a gadget but repaired it. Nowadays it seems to be use and discard and get the next model. No mobile phone contracts, Sky etc, etc.

4. Greebo

Caporegime

A lot of that is down to the cheapness of the products we buy. In previous decades it wanst uncommon for people to have dishwashers and washing machines for 20 to 30 years and sometimes without them ever breaking down. Hope many people have older relatives still using 40 year food mixers

But they cost a lot of money back then but were built to last. A 1080s basic washing machine would be a £1000 in today's money. Most people dont spend that on a washing machine. The life expectancy is now less than 7 years but it used to be decades.

So we throw away rather than repair as it costs too much. I got a quote to repair our £179 tumble dryer and the repair cost was £110. I may as well buy another £179 dryer with a warranty. But it had cost a £1000 you would pay the £110 repair plus it would be much less likely to break down in the first place.

This is all the back of decades of demand for cheaper products and manufacturers wanting to find ways to increase sales and profits.

You can still buy a decent washing machine with more than 10 years full guarantee like Miele but they cost £900. There's a swedish one with 15 years but I think its £1,500 from memory.

5. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

The 1080's basic washing machine was a serf :D:D:D

The life expectancy may be 7 years but it does not mean it will fail and they are 'persuaded' by marketing to get the new one because it will wash cleaner, use less electricity and/or water. Whether they would spend that amount on electricity or water seems to be forgotten.

We are also persuaded to go into debt or use the high cost financing to get the latest toy something people in previous generations tended to avoid at all costs. We are more consumerist nowadays. That guy from Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis was saying something similar recently when talking to people when he said before you rush out and get stuff from the Black Friday event ask yourself "Do I actually need it?" and "How am I going to finance the purchase".

6. Greebo

Caporegime

The break down a lot lot more than they used to and do fail. We only ever swap ours when its broken, not because of any marketing ploy but perhaps we aren't typical?

I know my old boss gave away their dishwasher when they got a new kitchen and she said it was a good expensive make but 10 years old. 21 years on my parents are still using that dishwasher.

Same issue with food mixers. The latest kenwood food mixers arent built like tanks and last 40 years like the old ones did.

But we demand cheaper prices so manufacturers make stuff cheaper and cheaper.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  7. JeditOjanen

Mobster

No, I haven't seen these things - or where I have, it's been British people doing it. And you know what else? Neither have most people who voted to Leave. A study was done and it showed a direct inverse correlation between immigrant population density and voting Leave. The people who actually know immigrants, who see them and deal with them daily, voted Remain.

8. platypus

Caporegime

You've mentioned this twice now. It's a cute little anecdote but can you prove it?

I've experienced Roma trashing the business park where our Cambridge office is, nothing quite so drastic though.

Do you think that leaving the EU would allow us to kick all the Roma out?

Do you think all immigrants are like this?

Nope. Are you saying that you can prove this is just immigrants?

Drunk people occasionally walk past our house making noise. I dont know their nationality.

The last scenes that could be called anything like mass brawls were the EDL.

No luckily the streets are fairly clean around here.

Nope; I have however seen the local drunks and homeless using the park as a toilet. The British locals.

The only vomit I've seen on the streets are from drunks around the town centre. Who knows what nationality they are?

Fly tipping is more common outside the city, especially around the A10. You'd need to ask the police who does it I guess.

9. Stretch

Capodecina

There does seem to be a common theme of brexit supporters being outraged on other people's behalf.

I think we can safely say that Cambridge has a very high proportion of foreign nationals from all corners of the globe living an working in the City, and there is very little trouble of any description.

The worst of it on Regents Street on Friday and Saturday nights, when the trash from surrounding market towns descend on the city.

10. efish

Hitman

We caught a group of Roma in my living room trying to make off with our electircal goods.

Diffrence in how I think and view the matter though.

11. platypus

Caporegime

If you'd caught a chap from down the road doing the same thing, would you automatically hate all white Brits?

12. platypus

Caporegime

I certainly live in a city that as Stretch says has a very high proportion of foreign nationals from all corners of the globe. Immigration has been a massive positive for Cambridge.

We even have our own Roma!

13. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

The gypsies that cause bother round here are of the white British variety. It's very confusing.

14. Greebo

Caporegime

Same here and they leave their no 2s behind and a tonne of rubbish :(

Plusd crime goes through the roof every year.

Even our brand new IT/Arts building mysterious was broken in to and all the computers and camera gear nicked which just happened to coincide with the two weeks they were here.

15. Mr Jack

Capodecina

Sorry, wrong thread.

16. efish

Hitman

"no culture [should] be judged to be intrinsically superior or inferior to another"

17. Freakbro

Capodecina

Ooops...looks like more of these "off the books" shenanagins are coming home to roost. This time it's Student Loans

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45421621

So we're even more skint than we realise [officially] because we're not counting in the public figures the amount of money we are lending in student loans! That's insane, especially since it's estimated only ~30% will be collected.

And the summary of the article

Lies, damn lies, statistics.....and accountancy...

18. V F

Capodecina

This is why I chuckle when people quote statistics as if it is factual. People poo-hoo others who question it. Yet it is proven time and time again that you can do whatever you want with statistics to justify one's argument.

19. StriderX

Capodecina

LOL Tory's being disingenuous with budget SHOCKER.

20. Freakbro

Capodecina

Global corporate debt has reached $182 Trillion, which is double the world's GDP and more worringly this is 60% higher than before the financial crash of 2008.

There's a crash coming for sure, we're just having a little wobble on the markets at the moment but we are in unchartered economic waters. The last 10 years of QE has increased liquidity massively but now with the taps being turned off and so much corporate debt, business are in fear of interest rate rises.

Also, there's currently an odd situation going on, normally equities and bonds work counter cyclically, but currently we are seeing large sell offs of both at the same time.