Over 400 million people drink from their toilet everyday

Soldato
India is a complete dump. The streets are paved with empty water bottles and plastic bags.

Pretty much anyone who visits also gets the poops pretty badly, due to all the nasty bacteria floating around.

Soldato
Have to admit, I do feel that all those cornflakes boxes I've recycled over the years has been for nothing

And my local council tells me off if I ever put one in the wrong bin

Caporegime
There seem to be some apologist posts along the lines of "they don't have the infrastructure" or sort of indicating that they don't know how a toilet works etc.. this is nonsense. It is a cultural issue and frankly people who do it are just dirty individuals.

If it was just down to poverty or corruption or infrastructure then we'd see the problem at a similar level or worse in other countries that are just as poor and corrupt or even more poor and corrupt... there are plenty more countries who don't have nuclear weapons, a space program and a growing highly skilled middle class yet also don't **** in the street at the rate Indians do. They are literally the worst country in the world when it comes to this matter to the point where Unicef even funded an educational "poo in the loo" video to try and encourage Indians to stop it.

YmGGqLj.png

Their day to day hygiene habit is terrible, they would litter, they don’t care what the streets look like.

Until they change their mentality the country will never get cleaned.

I saw a piece on how when Indians move to the west and their little neighbourhood will slowly turn into something that resembles back home, it’s all in their behaviour even if the resources are there to keep clean.

I bet you if a bunch of Japanese moves into the neighbourhood next door it will be spotless.

Yup, it is mostly cultural AFAIK, though to be fair the UK Indian population tends to be highly skilled/educated and doesn't seem to be regressing backwards.

I've certainly been to other Asian countries, poorer than India, and they've not had this issue... some remote village might well have a village toilet that consists of a long drop above a pit... it is basic sure but they don't **** in the street. Likewise it was only a couple of generations or so ago that working class people in the UK might have only had access to an outside toilet in a little brick outhouse at the bottom of the yard/small garden... they're not necessarily going to be mains connected either in rural pit villages etc... yet AFAIK, it wasn't general practice for people's grandparents/great grandparents in the UK to just **** in the street.

Caporegime
"Dilution is the solution to pollution".

What a moron.

Not just India, many developed countries still use that mantra.

There's also the issue of overflow when it rains. The UK has a major issue with this and regularly releases raw sewage into rivers and the sea (next to popular beaches)...

Also worth pointing out that the Indian government know the pollution is bad and are doing something about it. They've been spending $3B over four years reducing the pollution in it.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Cover-Story/Is-Modi-s-plan-to-clean-Mother-Ganges-working

It takes time however. It's worth pointing out here that the Thames was basically an open sewer in up until the late 50's/early 60's when it was considered "biologically dead". It's only relatively recently that it was considered clean, with wildlife returning (last 15-20 years).

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20151111-how-the-river-thames-was-brought-back-from-the-dead

It's a sad state, but lets not use it as an excuse not to do our part, or assume that the Indians aren't trying to clean up their act as well.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Its religion over reality. Not forgetting a good does of cultural and economic "not giving a toss."
I mean if you talk to someone that believes a river is sacred and holy with healing properties, what kind of moron are they?
Why doesn't Greta Thunberg go to Kolkata or one of the other **** holes and preach 18h to them instead?
She can get a train there, only take a week or 2.

Caporegime
Isn't that largely because there isn't the infrastructure for proper toilets in much of india, and in many areas that do have it, it's still new and facing the problem of changing the way people look at taking a poop inside.
Usually what happens is after someone realises that yes, the poop does go away when flushed, they start using the facilities where available.

There's also a fairly major issue with sex/gender (the "patriarchy"). The men of the house see no issue with it, so don't want to spend the money on a toilet, which the women actually want.

That said, India again is aware it's a problem, with $18B spent on it in recent years on a massive toilet building program. That has reduced the number deficating outdoors considerably.

An official statement issued on Jan. 9 said more than 90 million toilets have been built across rural India since the launch of the mission, taking the national rural sanitation coverage up from 39% four years ago to over 98% now.

Iyer said that about 450 million people in rural India have moved away from open defecation in a little over four years. "There has been tremendous progress and we are very confident of meeting the Prime Minister's goal of making India open defecation free by Oct. 2, 2019."

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/C...oilet-building-project-empowers-India-s-women

Perhaps bit optimistic, but they're certainly heading in the right direction.

Now compare that to the rate of change in the western countries. What could we be doing in 10 years if we were changing things at the rate India is doing?

Caporegime
Their day to day hygiene habit is terrible, they would litter, they don’t care what the streets look like.

Until they change their mentality the country will never get cleaned.

I saw a piece on how when Indians move to the west and their little neighbourhood will slowly turn into something that resembles back home, it’s all in their behaviour even if the resources are there to keep clean.

I bet you if a bunch of Japanese moves into the neighbourhood next door it will be spotless.

Racist and moronic post of the day.

Please explain Surrey near Vancouver BC. Or Abbotsford, etc.

If you have poor Indians moving to poor areas then yeah they will throw crap wherever they like. But guess what? Same goes for poor Romanians and poor people everywhere.

Move rich people and they are fine.

Always found it ironic how the chinese and Japanese think themselves better than Indians. You guys are the worst drivers on the road. Never indicating, changing lanes with no regard for traffic in that lane, swaying side to side as if you are tucking into ramen whilst driving. You should all have your licenses confiscated.

You know someone had a similar thought in Germany once.

Caporegime
Racist and moronic post of the day.

Please explain Surrey near Vancouver BC. Or Abbotsford, etc.

If you have poor Indians moving to poor areas then yeah they will throw crap wherever they like. But guess what? Same goes for poor Romanians and poor people everywhere.

Move rich people and they are fine.

Always found it ironic how the chinese and Japanese think themselves better than Indians. You guys are the worst drivers on the road. Never indicating, changing lanes with no regard for traffic in that lane, swaying side to side as if you are tucking into ramen whilst driving. You should all have your licenses confiscated.

You know someone had a similar thought in Germany once.

It's not racists. People takes years and generations to develop. Just look at the difference in the Chinese between Hong Kong and those across the border 5 miles north. Soon as you cross the border you will see a ton more people spitting on the streets but it is much less prevalent in HK, why? Because the 150 years of british rule does something. Even if people on both sides have the same living standards.

Is that racist? When i am one of them?

I seen it first hand, I lived it.

You won't find the poorest Japanese guy spitting on the street, or litter, they are not brought up that way. It's not about rich or poor, it's the culture, it's their mentality. Sure, it is not ALL of them, like I am sure i will find a japanese guy spitting but i am broadly speaking, I am sure you will call it racists again but watch this video. (Probably will comment on why he is wearing a mask or why is the comments disabled).

Watching that video again you kind of proven his point....blame. Don't blame the Chinese or Japanese thinking they are better than you, they are not the one making India dirty, Indian people are.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Isn't that largely because there isn't the infrastructure for proper toilets in much of india, and in many areas that do have it, it's still new and facing the problem of changing the way people look at taking a poop inside.

Usually what happens is after someone realises that yes, the poop does go away when flushed, they start using the facilities where available.

'Still new'? India has had access to Western toilet technology for at least 70 years, and they've known for millennia that when you put excrement in moving water, it goes away (hence the common use of the Ganges).

The infrastructure isn't there because they can't be bothered to build it. The mentality is there because they don't want to change. It's still a very backward country in many ways.

Caporegime
Maybe you need to learn history.

India had British rule too for 100 years.

Guess what the rich people in india dont spit in the streets or litter everywhere and the poor do. And guess what the poor outnumber the rich amillion to one therefore it looks like they all do it.

But the poor have no access to toilets or drinking water or education.

The answer is education which they have no access to due to extreme inequalities. Poor kids dont go to school. They work I've seen kids that should be at school or playing digging up roads over there, collecting rubbish, selling stuff to make money. With no education what do you expect?

Yet look at the Indians going to private schools like dalhousie and they are no different to any westerner. Funny that.

Still doesnt explain why you guys can't drive. ;)

Had a chinese woman cut me up in a rental mini van yesterday. Just thought she would switch lanes with no indication about 1 foot in front of me and she never even bothered apologising after too. Then continued to swing around the lane before doing the same thing again but indicating at the last minute before driving over the white line which forces you into the other lane on the outside.

Caporegime
'Still new'? India has had access to Western toilet technology for at least 70 years, and they've known for millennia that when you put excrement in moving water, it goes away (hence the common use of the Ganges).

The infrastructure isn't there because they can't be bothered to build it. The mentality is there because they don't want to change. It's still a very backward country in many ways.

They dont have money.

Also government is extremely corrupt.

I'm talking everyone politicians, police, everyone. Anyone with power is corrupt.

Back
Top Bottom