Over six hundred of us just made redundant

Soldato
not lucky if he cant find a job !

i cant imagine 600 people all in the same small town all looking for the same sort of work being too great

Soldato
ScarySquirrel said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: Why is everyone saying sorry then? You're a lucky SOAB :D

Congrats

Because he has to find another job?

Being made redundant is not nice. I was at Philips in Durham not long before they closed that place down and was there during lots of redundancies over the years, manufacturing in the UK is just dying :(

Associate
QABoy said:
At the very least I will get fifty times my weekly wage + other loyalty bonuses. It will add up to over a years wages for me. Its all tax free too.

Sounds like a nice package, but remember only the first 30k is tax free. Anything over 30k is taxable at your normal rate. If you're a basic rate payer, the employer will sort it and pay you the net amount; if you're a higher rate payer the employer will pay the basic rate and you then have to declare it to HM's bods and pay the extra....

Edit...
10 working days left for me till I get made redundant too, so I know exactly how you feel!

Man of Honour
Tommy B said:
Not poor management, more the fact that most executives these days are tossers who will sacrafice everyone and everything for their own fiscal gain. The fact is labour in Poland will be cheaper, and it'll be another measure to cut costs and impress the shareholders. Perhaps one day the government will make it illegal and force firms to accept more expensive ways of doing things.

Thats a really neive view. If a firm is forced to accept more expensive ways of doing things, then the price of production increases and this is passed on to the customer.

This then makes the companies products uncompetitive next to other products manufacturer but non British companies. Eventually, the company cannot sustain lost sales due to forced high prices and collapses.

We live in a capitalist society - the 'attitude' you refer to is neccesary to survive.

The problems happening with British manufacturing are inevitable for a country which becomes richer - the richer a country becomes, the less inclined its workers are to work for peanuts, and workers working for very little is the mainstay of an industrialised society.

We have had our industrial and manufacturing revolution and the success it gave our country has caused it to rise above the manufacturing industry - it's sad, but it's also a fact of life.

It's also why the service industry is now huge.

Soldato
Rosbif said:
Can you imagine if 50% of the cars on the roads were Rovers? Good god ... not worth thinking about

Good god.....i dont hate rovers but my uncle had lots of trouble with his 416 even compared to my dads laguna of the same age. :eek:

50% of british cars were TVRs,now we are talking. Amazing cars AND a drop in population. :D

My dads not been in work for about month and a bit,hes still getting paid up to the end of september and will then receive his redundnacy money. Whatever it is per week X 20 or so years in the place.

Its doing my head in,everyday without fail im dragged out of bed to help him do the garden,paint stuff,lay slabs. :( Its good to see him not stressed out and totalyl nackered from work though.

Associate
This time last year, along with half the workforce, I took a voluntary redundancy before a forced redundancy in February of this year, from the Kays Catalogue warehouse in Worcester. All in all, about 900 people lost their jobs in a very small city.

I had worked there only for four years, the last of which we had no idea when we would lose our jobs - only that we WOULD lose our jobs. I had an extremely good redundancy, as did everyone else.

After two weeks I was bored beyond belief, but after only six weeks I had found myself another job. As it turned out this job is perfect for me, and i'm now earning more than I did there doing something I trained to do many years ago that I really love.

Keep your chin up OP and dmpoole, you never know this might be a doorway onto better things.

Good luck :)

Man of Honour
Telescopi said:
Just like students then if we're trading stereotypes.

Are you honestly trying to tell me that the 1970's British Car Production workforce were diligant and hard working?

They spent more time standing around in donkey jackets outside the factory gates pointing at things than making cars, and when they did make cars, they threw them together.

As a result, our car industry died.

Back
Top Bottom