Over six hundred of us just made redundant

Associate
I work for the Indesit Company in Stoke On Trent and we've just been told that the place is definitely shutting down :eek: Six hundred and nineteen of us on the dole queue including dmpoole. We knew it was coming but its still a shock and tomorrow we will be told exactly when we go.

Associate
OP
Third Opinion said:
Bad luck.

Why are they shutting, outsourcing or poor sales?

Both. All our best selling products were sent to Italy and Poland to be made and the products we were left with aren't selling very well. Its bad management at the end of the day because with the other products we'd be a major force. Out of the nineteen factories they have around Europe we are the top performing hitting all our targets. Even now the workers have gone back to their jobs and carrying on as normal to the amazement of the management.

Soldato
That's very sad, yet another example of very poor management :( Sorry to hear that mate, hopefully it can be avoided or you can find something else soon.

Suspended
Third Opinion said:
Why are they shutting, outsourcing or poor sales?
QABoy said:
Both. All our best selling products were sent to Italy and Poland to be made and the products we were left with aren't selling very well.
Actually it isn't JUST poor sales, it is also that despite all the talk about our national pride, the British don't really seem to have any commitment to "Buying British". In my experience, the French, Italians, Japanese and Americans all believe that they have a responsibility to support their own industries.

I seem to recall that there was a time when Great Britain used to have a car industry? Nowadays, we tend to buy most of our cars from countries with which we were at war some sixty years ago - the same is true of motorcycles, where are the Triumphs, BSAs, Nortons, Velocettes, Vincents, Royal Enfields and Ariels of yesteryear?

Soldato
I must admit I like Indesit products, my kitchen is decked out with them.

After sales is fantastic as well. Darn shame that they will be moving production abroad. Even worse shame for the 600 employee's. I hope you get a good package and a decent job quickly.

Associate
Shackley said:
Actually it isn't JUST poor sales, it is also that despite all the talk about our national pride, the British don't really seem to have any commitment to "Buying British". In my experience, the French, Italians, Japanese and Americans all believe that they have a responsibility to support their own industries.

I seem to recall that there was a time when Great Britain used to have a car industry? Nowadays, we tend to buy most of our cars from countries with which we were at war some sixty years ago - the same is true of motorcycles, where are the Triumphs, BSAs, Nortons, Velocettes, Vincents, Royal Enfields and Ariels of yesteryear?

Quoted for truth!!!

You go to France and i'd say at least 50% of the cars on the road are french.
You go to Germany and i'd say at least 50% of the cars on the road are German.
You go to Italy and 90% of the cars have dents in them! ;)

Sorry to hear about your redundancy though, I was made redundant 5 months ago it takes a while to hit you. Have you been there long? What are your chances of getting a new job fairly quickly?

Soldato
Mr_T said:
Quoted for truth!!!

You go to Italy and 90% of the cars have dents in them! ;)

More than 50% in France mate. When I visit my parents I would say as many as 90% are French. At least where they are.

Soldato
ScarySquirrel said:
More than 50% in France mate. When I visit my parents I would say as many as 90% are French. At least where they are.

And I've just got back from Italy and I'd say it is closer to 100% of cars that have dents in them :p

Associate
OP
ScarySquirrel said:
Do they give you money for making you redundant?

At the very least I will get fifty times my weekly wage + other loyalty bonuses. It will add up to over a years wages for me. Its all tax free too.

Man of Honour
Mr_T said:
Quoted for truth!!!

Because although in the UK we have an excellent selection of designers, our general workforce is, or at least always was, lazy, bone idle and known for shoddy quality.

We are to blame for our poor industry.

Soldato
Not poor management, more the fact that most executives these days are tossers who will sacrafice everyone and everything for their own fiscal gain. The fact is labour in Poland will be cheaper, and it'll be another measure to cut costs and impress the shareholders. Perhaps one day the government will make it illegal and force firms to accept more expensive ways of doing things.

[TW]Fox said:
Because although in the UK we have an excellent selection of designers, our general workforce is, or at least always was, lazy, bone idle and known for shoddy quality.

We are to blame for our poor industry.

True, although we do have an impressive service industry.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Tommy B said:
Not poor management, more the fact that most executives these days are tossers who will sacrafice everyone and everything for their own fiscal gain. The fact is labour in Poland will be cheaper, and it'll be another measure to cut costs and impress the shareholders. Perhaps one day the government will make it illegal and force firms to accept more expensive ways of doing things.

True, although we do have an impressive service industry.
Sums it up for me. Pretty much everything is about profit more than anything else, unfortanately usually at the expense of another factor of the business.

Edit: And sorry to hear your bad news on the jobfront :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom