Associate
Hello,

computer = Dell T5500
CPU = Intel Xeon E5620
GPU = Nvidia 1050-ti
Ram = 32gb DDR3
Everything else is stock.

I am aware I am using a server to game. Cool huh?

I am new to this forum and am looking for advice. I have been running the setup above for a couple of years, she has served me well. I like to game and upgraded my graphics card to the 1050-ti because newer games demanded it. I bought it because it was insanely cheap.

My present problem is that I will not be able to run the new Call of Duty without a faster CPU. I have never been into shooters, preferring strategy games like CKII and Total War. However, I am now at university and many of my friends are buying this game and I would like to play with them.

Currently, my CPU runs at 2.4ghz. I believe, after searching online, that I could overclock it to run much, much faster. However, this would require a new motherboard. It may also require a new cooling system, a new power supply, and a new case. I honestly don't know. What I do know is, money is tight as a student and I want to play the new COD without sinking too much money into a whole new system.

I have other issues I have identified too. I have Windows 7, which will not run DirectX12... Which I need. My university will supply me with a legitimate copy of Windows 10. Perfect! except it's not because I need to find out whether I need a new motherboard to overclock. The ones I have been looking at, such as the X58, which are very overclockable, cannot run Windows 10! gutted. I am stumped at the moment.

I apologise for my lack of IT skills, I am new to this. I am having a great time learning more and more about computers though. I did not think I would have this much fun.

Thank you for all your help,
LucifersLandLord

Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly I'd be looking at a complete new system apart from your 1050ti...

I'd be looking at something like the following as throwing money at such an old system would be peeing it up the wall.

I believe the board and CPU are not overclockable but you should see a massive improvement over what you've currently got. Ryzen loves fast memory and 16gb is more than enough for a gaming system. New PSU as I wouldn't trust such an old power supply especially an oem, personally.

I'd cannibalise your HDD from you current system as a storage drive. The rest of your old system I'd look at parting up and flipping on ebay or something to get a bit more cash. Then I'd look at adding a few extra case fans.

Someone may be able to come up with something better, but I don't think this would be a bad system.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £553.64 (includes shipping: £14.70)

Soldato
Certainly there's zero sense to buy new motherboard for that old CPU.
(unless you get board for pocket money)
Because no matter the overclocking that decade old Nehalem architecture CPU won't turn into modern performing one.

Also stock cooler of server PC surely isn't sized for overclocking.
Heck, usually they aren't even sized for good cooling at stock without making noise.

Because of it being Dell it likely uses also non-standard PSU making replacing it hard.

WD Blue 3D is £3 cheaper and at this price level cheaper than high quality 10 year warranty PSU would justified.

Bitfenix Formula would be £30 cheaper.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-formula-series-650w-80-plus-gold-power-supply-ca-22z-bx.html

Associate
Certainly there's zero sense to buy new motherboard for that old CPU.
(unless you get board for pocket money)
Because no matter the overclocking that decade old Nehalem architecture CPU won't turn into modern performing one.

Also stock cooler of server PC surely isn't sized for overclocking.
Heck, usually they aren't even sized for good cooling at stock without making noise.

Because of it being Dell it likely uses also non-standard PSU making replacing it hard.

WD Blue 3D is £3 cheaper and at this price level cheaper than high quality 10 year warranty PSU would justified.

Bitfenix Formula would be £30 cheaper.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/bitfenix-formula-series-650w-80-plus-gold-power-supply-ca-22z-bx.html

Perhaps use the savings and stretch to the 3600.

Soldato
The board doesn't support 3rd gen Ryzen and would bump up the price quite a bit on such a tight budget adding roughly £100 to the bill even with the savings from a cheaper psu and SSD... Personally don't think it's worth it, I'd be looking at swapping out the board and cpu when he has more cash selling the 2600 and B450 board to offset the cost.

Have to disagree with Esat over the Power Supply, yeah it's a budget friendly build but one area I would never skimp on is the PSU having had lower quality units have always failed me before or shortly after warranty has expired. A high quality PSU like the Seasonic will likely last him through several builds/ upgrades.

Soldato
I have other issues I have identified too. I have Windows 7, which will not run DirectX12... Which I need. My university will supply me with a legitimate copy of Windows 10. Perfect! except it's not because I need to find out whether I need a new motherboard to overclock.

Since Microsoft are issuing Windows 10 updates targetted at Westmere CPUs (like yours), Windows 10 should work just fine. You lose nothing by trying.

I wouldn't bother overclocking for all the reasons @EsaT mentions. Pull out your old HDD, treat yourself to a SSD - your motherboard is way too old for a M.2 drive - and install Windows 10 on that. Then plug your old HDD back in and copy over your data.

Back
Top Bottom