Overclocking a Ryzen 5 3600

Associate
Is it worth it for a few more FPS ?

When overclocking, is it possible to only increase the 4.1ghz boost to about 4.4ghz ? Or once overclocked does it mean that all 6 cores will constantly run at a set speed regardless of usage, which is not what I want. ?

Soldato
Is it worth it for a few more FPS ?

When overclocking, is it possible to only increase the 4.1ghz boost to about 4.4ghz ? Or once overclocked does it mean that all 6 cores will constantly run at a set speed ?
If you have a decent chip it may do 4.4 all core at around 1.3 fixed volts, the cores will still downclock/sleep even if you set an all core OC although only ryzen master software will show this.

Associate
OP
If you have a decent chip it may do 4.4 all core at around 1.3 fixed volts, the cores will still downclock/sleep even if you set an all core OC although only ryzen master software will show this.

By chip what do you mean ?
I have a B450 Tomahawk Max and a NHU12S cooler with really good temps

Soldato
Ok well I just want a simple way to increase the boost so it can get to 4.3 or 4.4. Stock is 4.2
You can try increasing the boost clock override in the PBO menu but this seemed to do very little for zen 2 CPUs that why an all core OC worked quite well especially on the lower end chips like the 3600 where the boost was only 4.2 but all core could do 4.4+ if you're lucky.

For an all core clock you just need to set the core voltage to override mode and enter 1.3v then change the CPU clock from auto to 44 although I'd probably start at 4.1 and work your way up while stress testing with a couple of quick cinebench R20 runs at each step to ensure stability, if it gets unstable then you can either lower the clocks or increase the voltage but I'd try keep voltage at or below 1.325v

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You can try increasing the boost clock override in the PBO menu but this seemed to do very little for zen 2 CPUs that why an all core OC worked quite well especially on the lower end chips like the 3600 where the boost was only 4.2 but all core could do 4.4+ if you're lucky.

For an all core clock you just need to set the core voltage to override mode and enter 1.3v then change the CPU clock from auto to 44 although I'd probably start at 4.1 and work your way up while stress testing with a couple of quick cinebench R20 runs at each step to ensure stability, if it gets unstable then you can either lower the clocks or increase the voltage but I'd try keep voltage at or below 1.325v

Fair enough thanks. I did some YouTubing too. Seems as though it could seriously increase the temps though right ? I currently idle at 32c and under full load cinebench 66c

Think I'll just leave it, after some reading my initial thoughts were true. Just leave the OC to the PBO stock settings

Got my 2400mhz ram to 3000mhz a few weeks back so i'll just stick to that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I actually had lower temps on my chip compared to PBO although the max I could get was 4.2ghz @1.325v temp at 67C vs PBO which boosted to 4.0ghz and temps of 72 since the auto voltage it fed to the chip was 1.38 during cinebench.

Associate
OP
I actually had lower temps on my chip compared to PBO although the max I could get was 4.2ghz @1.325v temp at 67C vs PBO which boosted to 4.0ghz and temps of 72 since the auto voltage it fed to the chip was 1.38 during cinebench.

Confused. I thought the 3600 could get to 4.2ghz or is that only on one core ?

Soldato
Confused. I thought the 3600 could get to 4.2ghz or is that only on one core ?
Yeah That Is The Single Core Boost, if you run cinebench with HWinfo open you can see what it boosts to when all cores are stressed and this will almost certainly be lower than 4.2

Associate
OP
Yeah That Is The Single Core Boost, if you run cinebench with HWinfo open you can see what it boosts to when all cores are stressed and this will almost certainly be lower than 4.2

Ok. Any noticable increase in FPS whilst gaming after overclocking ? On YouTube seems you get 2 or 3 fps more.

Soldato
Yeah it's a few fps more especially if your gaming at 1080p, at 4K I wouldn't bother though as it will make no difference.

Soldato
Better off leaving it to do it's own thing. The performance difference will be negligible.

My 3600 boosts to 4.2 single core and just under 4.0 under heavy all core loads. I've tried to overclock it, but I have a bronze sample so needs more voltage than I'm comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom