Overclocking DQ6 (680i chipset)

Associate
Evening all

Was wondering whether anyone could offer any advice on overclocking this board. I just bought one on the back of rave reviews (re overclocking potential) from the likes of Tweaktown etc and on my first attempt, it failed to make it through (even) a 3dMark 06 test.

I have a couple of issues here.

i) CPU-Z is showing a core speed of only 1600 (my chip is a C2D E6600 - 2.6ghz) and multiplier of 6!! The bios shows the clock at 266 and 9 multiplier. Any idea why cpu-z is reading these numbers?

ii) With reference to the first failed overclock, I got the blue screen of death whilst at the second CPU test in 3Dmark 06. Is the blue screen normally attributable to Ram or CPU or even both? Being such a good overclocking board I though I could push the cpu up to at least 2.8Gig without touching any voltages whatsoever. I was wrong it would appear. The overclock failed at 2.57 - pathetic I hear you cry.

Ram voltage / timings all untouched (Corsair XMS 5400) and CPU stock voltage.

Grateful if someone could get me started in the right direction with the various settings required.

Many thanks in advance ;)

Associate
OP
thanx mate I'll look for that and try it.

Any thoughts on what sort of ball park overclock I could achieve without touching cpu voltage? Could I reasonably expect to get to 2.8Ghz without additional vcore?

Further, just reset to stock setting (FSB to 266 on 9 multiplier) and had a further blue screen shut down in 3D Mark. Any thoughts on what could be causing this at stock settings. Is there a problem with compatibility of the ram and this mobo? Is the aforementioned shut down symtomatic of ram problem?

Really appreciate any advice. Thanks :)

Soldato
From all accounts the new E6600 are not as good at overclocking as the older ones. Just bump the voltages a bit and see what happens. My 6400 in a Evga 680i does 3.2 @ 1.38v where it took almost 1.5 to do it on a P5W DH. Also increase the memory volts to 2.0.

For a good overclocking guide have a look at the evga forum, theres a sticky at the top. It might not be 100% relevant but it'll point you in the right direction. I also assume your flashed to the latest bios.

Back
Top Bottom