Overclocking i9 7980XE on X299 AORUS Gaming 9

Associate
OP
Finally found the time to try this.

So I've increased vcore slowly from 1.25 to 1.35. More or less the same result. As soon as windows starts loading the PC restarts. How high can I go with the vcore? (liquid cooled CPU). And is there anything else that I need to be adjusting?

Associate
What have you got it set at currently

Multiplier volts cache ram etc

Set it back to stock and then gradually increase the clock. When it starts failing bump up the vcore a little.

Rather than using a fixed voltage why not try using an offset voltage for vcore

You want to get it into windows and then run some benches and use a monitoring tool to see how your temps are doing. If it’s too toasty then scale it back a bit.

Don’t try to go for a hero overclock right from the get go. Build up slowly.

A word of caution though, you’re picking a very expensive CPU to learn the art of overclocking. Take it slowly so you don’t damage it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So currently all I've done was followed the tutorial I referenced above:

RAM is on X.M.P. Profile 1
CPU Clock Ration is at 46
Enhanced Multi-Core Performance Enabled
Energy Efficient Turbo Disabled
CLR (MESH) Ratio to 32
CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration Auto
CPU VRIN External Override 1.9
Vcore 1.25

The CPU was sold as Pre-binned 4.6GHz capable, so assumed starting at 46 clock would be fine...

Would you suggest starting at say 30 instead and slowly going up?

OcUK Staff
Was it from us?? Because certainly we are not using that board to achieve those clocks. X299 board really does matter... We specify Boards in the listing for the CPU.

What memory you using also?? on 18c just run 2666mhz C15 instead of running crazy fast and max out the cpu first. 12-18c IMC not as good as lower core count parts.

Lock the cache at 2.4 stock frequency also focus on the core...then go to 2.8ghz cache.

Associate
So currently all I've done was followed the tutorial I referenced above:

RAM is on X.M.P. Profile 1
CPU Clock Ration is at 46
Enhanced Multi-Core Performance Enabled
Energy Efficient Turbo Disabled
CLR (MESH) Ratio to 32
CPU Vcore Loadline Calibration Auto
CPU VRIN External Override 1.9
Vcore 1.25

The CPU was sold as Pre-binned 4.6GHz capable, so assumed starting at 46 clock would be fine...

Would you suggest starting at say 30 instead and slowly going up?
No wonder it’s bombing out at a mesh setting of 32, never mind anything else...

As I understand most boards/cpus struggle to get over 30

Associate
OP
@8 Pack Yes, from you guys. Either I didn't spot the MB recommendation before or it wasn't there a year ago. Do you have any settings you can share that you guys have tested on this board?

Using
Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0

@Pooh So is that just plain wrong then?
Step 5: Change CLR (MESH) Ratio Frequency
The formula for CLR (MESH) frequency is CPU Base Clock * CLR (MESH) Ratio = CLR (MESH).

CLR (MESH) is Intel’s new inner chip communication architecture. Its frequency correlates to the non-core parts of the CPU such as cache, memory controller, and communication between individual cores. To start set your CLR to 32 and continue on with the guide. After you have determined your CPU’s highest multiplier you can re-visit your CLR settings. Preference should be placed on obtaining the highest CPU clock. In general higher CLR values do not produce meaningful performance differences, but they may improve benchmark score.

Set CLR (MESH) Ratio to “32”.

OcUK Staff
Very few 7980Xe can do 32 cache or mesh without serious cache volts.... Yes people are talking nonsense on 99% of the Internet including these forums..this is the cause of your no boot..

The listing was the same one year ago. That board is not certified by us.

Run exactly as I said above 2666mems 24-28cache 46 ratio 1.23vcore...

Back
Top Bottom