overhead plastering (onto ply)?

Soldato
We're making a little server cupboard over our stairs in some dead space. I was proposing to just bottom it out in ply and paint it but mrs ik9000 wants a plaster finish if possible. Is there some lightweight plasterboard for overhead use or should I just skim the plywood (hopefully lighter weight as there is not much to fix heavy PB to)? Not a huge area, circa 1m x 0.65m from memory. Can you just skim plywood or is there something I should do to it first? Or is it just a bad idea? (I've got an offcut of some 12mm marine ply from an old job and was proposing to use that.)

Soldato
I wouldn't skin onto ply.
Wood reacts to temperature more than skim would

If your neat you could plasterboard. Fill and paint...

Soldato
Use 9mm plasterboard and drywall screws. Fill the screw heads with easyfill 60 and sand off. Then you can paint straight away, no need to plaster it.

12mm ply isnt light anyway, you'll need to fix some batten if there is nothing to screw into.

Soldato
I have painted plywood in the past after giving it a good sand (going through the different grits 40-180 IIRC). It looked really good, like the plastered walls in the downstairs loo (plywood was for the large fake wall for the hidden cistern).

Soldato
OP
with it being <1m2 would temp really matter? I wouldn't have thought there's much net expansion can take place over that size. I was presuming that if I use a flexible caulk around the edges it would deal with any thermal expansion/shrinkage.

There'll be batten 35*50 to all sides. Two into masonry one screwed into the landing balusters and the front trimmed between the two side battens. I will try just painting it and then if no good we can remove it and but some plasterboard.

Cut it to size, paint before you put it in, 100x easier ;)
Light sand, coat of paint, dry, light sand, rinse repeat until you get a surface your happy with

Use no more nails or grip fill instead of screws and save that hastle of filling you will just need to support the bits whilst it sets
Then caulk or use grip fill round the edges

If using grip full get the non solvent one its far smoother very much like caulk in consistency

Soldato
OP
we've got a good wood filler already. And some decorator's caulk so no worries there. Not sure how much solvent is in it (probably a lot) but it works a treat.

Soldato
I don’t think a well sanded piece of ply which was primed and followed by some emulsion would look any different to a wall assuming you painted it with a roller. No need to plaster it but you may need to fill the edges.

An appropriate primer should take an emulsion finish without issue.

Permabanned
Glue a piece of plasterboard to it. Plasterboard is so cheap and gives an excellent finish. You don't need to skim coat it. Just ensure you prime it. Personally I prefer the solvent "without nails" but whatever floats your boat. Seal around the edges with a caulk or what I prefer is a powder filler with a dab of PVA in it ( for extra stickiness and strength ). Some caulks can be disappointing with an emulsion on top so I prefer not using caulks if the intention is to paint.

Back
Top Bottom