Overloading PSU? Any way to test?

Soldato
Hi all.

Since adding my lovely Vega 64 to my X99 system i've had random reboots in games when the card is set either to the "balanced" setting or the "turbo" setting.

If I set the card to "power save" I don't get any problems at all.

Now i'm thinking my trusty Silverstone SX600-G isn't up to the task of AMD's thirstiest card but i'd like to check before I go plonking down £175 on a new SX800-LTI.

I've had a google at some power testers but i'm totally in the dark here, people online recommend the "Kill-A-Watt" but that seems to be a USA only thing. If I want something accurate that can log minimums and maximum power draws for me what's a good brand to go with?

Thanks in advance.

Associate
There are so many devices similar to Kill-A-Watt available for UK plugs too. Quick search in google for "Digital energy monitor UK plug" shows lots of results. Considering they are mostly similar prices and functionalities i guess most work the same way.

Soldato
Now i'm thinking my trusty Silverstone SX600-G isn't up to the task...
Wouldn't call PSU that strusty if it has Chinese grab bag capacitors in secondary...
Smaller form factor further puts more thermal stress on them and they're not in good place to have cooling airflow.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=395

With X99 platform being power hungrier than desktop platform that's definitely capable to giving it real "workout" even PSU was new.
At Balanced/Turbo Vega 64 likely also causes major variation to load stressing its regulation heavily.

And neither is SX800 that impressive compared to ATX PSU, but you seem to have rather small case so likely there isn't much choise.
At least it should have better capacitors and no cable spaghetti to prevent cooling.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=518

Soldato
OP
Yeah my choices are SFX or SFX-L really otherwise it doesn’t fit with the Vega in there.

Surprising about the caps in the SX600 but it’s been a good little unit before my Vega arrived and managed everything I threw at it.

What would you personally be buying to power my system in such a case? :)

Soldato
OP
Bought an Energenie and have been testing all night. With the Vega in balanced mode i’m getting 400W+ power draw with spikes into the 450W+ range. These “spikes” are making the PSU crap out and reboot.

On Power Save mode i’m getting ~300W draw with spikes of 330W which it handles no problem. I’d say if a “600W” PSU can’t handle 450W at the plug there’s something wrong.

Back
Top Bottom