Overs 40's : Are you Happy with your lot?

Associate

Big house = Big Mortgage
Big car = Big car loan
Kids
Mrs
Debts
Small pension ;)

STRESSED AND DEPRESSED!

I'm living the life over here guys lol

Now the big question is, if I had a time machine what would I change? Nothing, the kids change everything. Would I go back in time and tell myself to do something else.....well, that would mean my kids wouldn't be....so Nope!
and the man financing the country!

:D

Soldato
41 this year, work for myself, 2 kids, married 15 years.

Don't regret anything as I never bother looking back at stuff and thinking about it. What's the point, you can't change it.

Generally happy with life. Feel I could challenge myself a bit more, push things more.

Mortgage is fine, pension/investments doing OK. I would like to travel to more places other than standard sunshine/beach holidays but wife isn't particularly open to that idea.

Overall happy with life but sometimes think.....is this it?? Surely there's a bit more to life than sleep, eat, run kids around to school/activities, work, bed etc.......

Really would like to consider emigrating.......never going to happen however as the missus is too close to her parents who live 10 minutes away.

Caporegime
OP

Don't regret anything as I never bother looking back at stuff and thinking about it. What's the point, you can't change it.

Generally happy with life. Feel I could challenge myself a bit more, push things more.

Mortgage is fine, pension/investments doing OK. I would like to travel to more places other than standard sunshine/beach holidays but wife isn't particularly open to that idea.

Overall happy with life but sometimes think.....is this it?? Surely there's a bit more to life than sleep, eat, run kids around to school/activities, work, bed etc.......

Really would like to consider emigrating.......never going to happen however as the missus is too close to her parents who live 10 minutes away.

You feel trapped...sounds ghastly tbh....

Soldato
Millionaire, huge appendage, several concubines, several wives, Pagani Zonda for the shopping trips, Aston Martin for the trips abroad. Several cribs dotted around Europe and North America. Life sucks, I wish I was destitute.

Caporegime
OP
Millionaire, huge appendage, several concubines, several wives, Pagani Zonda for the shopping trips, Aston Martin for the trips abroad. Several cribs dotted around Europe and North America. Life sucks, I wish I was destitute.

Pretty much all material stuff...and pleasure inducing...

Ice cream is nice in small doses but imagine eating it all the time?

The key is more complex than that.

Man of Honour
48. I should be happy. I have a good career, lovely house in a fantastic area, wife, kids, etc.

But for some reason I'm not. My daily costs are huge, I hate my job which can be stressful and with the ever hanging threat of redundancy, I haven't travelled as much as I wanted and I haven't yet achieved my life goal of building my own business.

But in the last few years I've realised I'm not happy and have been on a self induced programme of changing things so that I can eventually be happy. I wish I could go back to my young 20 self and give him some advice.

Caporegime

Another daily reminder to be careful who you marry :p

Soldato
48. I should be happy. I have a good career, lovely house in a fantastic area, wife, kids, etc.

But for some reason I'm not. My daily costs are huge, I hate my job which can be stressful and with the ever hanging threat of redundancy, I haven't travelled as much as I wanted and I haven't yet achieved my life goal of building my own business.

But in the last few years I've realised I'm not happy and have been on a self induced programme of changing things so that I can eventually be happy. I wish I could go back to my young 20 self and give him some advice.

I felt like this a few years ago, glad I noticed in my early 30's so I can make the change now instead of waiting till Im 40.

Soldato
Another daily reminder to be careful who you marry :p

Damn, that sounds horrible.

The last 3 lines in particular.
You feel trapped...sounds ghastly tbh....

I think trapped is not the term I would use, but I guess you could see it like that. I guess I didn't make it sound particularly appealing!!

I'm a positive person, never bother with negative stuff/what if etc - I just get on with my life but do feel there is more out there to experience.

I want to work hard for the next 10/15 years and be done with it. Go travelling once kids are older - if my wife wants to come, great, if not, i'm going myself!!!!:D:D

Off to Vegas with my mates in April next year - might just not come home!!!:p:p

Caporegime
OP
I think trapped is not the term I would use, but I guess you could see it like that. I guess I didn't make it sound particularly appealing!!

I'm a positive person, never bother with negative stuff/what if etc - I just get on with my life but do feel there is more out there to experience.

I want to work hard for the next 10/15 years and be done with it. Go travelling once kids are older - if my wife wants to come, great, if not, i'm going myself!!!!:D:D

Your wife sounds boring tbh....no offence meant !

Soldato

You only have one life so make use of it now. Don't wait around for things to happen. 10/15 years time could be too late.

Man of Honour
I felt like this a few years ago, glad I noticed in my early 30's so I can make the change now instead of waiting till Im 40.
It's good you realise it while still young. I can't say I made bad or wrong decisions because each was based on a point in time and was right for me/us at that time. But looking back across the decades I can see how much time I spent just existing rather than really living.

I've come to realise just how much potential I have to build a wonderful life. I've grown immensely in recent years. But at the same time I look forward and realise time is indeed short and running out. Decisions that I made, for the right reasons back then, now hold me back.

I have a great life really. But I now know how utterly fantastic it can be if I decide to make it that way. The earlier you realise it the more chance you have of achieving it. At the very least, the advice I will give my children will be based on that experience. Part of the way I led my life was of course based on lessons from my own parents. But looking back thier life was quite small in terms of the world around them and seeing what they could really achieve. I have so much different experience to them now and will be able to give what I feel is better advice to my own children.

I have plans for what I will do when my children leave home. Sadly, a little like one of the above posters, my wife doesn't seem to have the same goals. But so be it.

Soldato
It's good you realise it while still young. I can't say I made bad or wrong decisions because each was based on a point in time and was right for me/us at that time. But looking back across the decades I can see how much time I spent just existing rather than really living.

I've come to realise just how much potential I have to build a wonderful life. I've grown immensely in recent years. But at the same time I look forward and realise time is indeed short and running out. Decisions that I made, for the right reasons back then, now hold me back.

I have a great life really. But I now know how utterly fantastic it can be if I decide to make it that way. The earlier you realise it the more chance you have of achieving it. At the very least, the advice I will give my children will be based on that experience. Part of the way I led my life was of course based on lessons from my own parents. But looking back thier life was quite small in terms of the world around them and seeing what they could really achieve. I have so much different experience to them now and will be able to give what I feel is better advice to my own children.

I have plans for what I will do when my children leave home. Sadly, a little like one of the above posters, my wife doesn't seem to have the same goals. But so be it.

Can you expand more on the existing/living thing? Curious what exactly you mean.

Back
Top Bottom