Overspeeding...consequences?

Associate
SO I was driving down the A11 today (Norwich to London) and am pretty sure I got caught out by one of those mobile vans with a big camera on top. I was doing 79 and I think the speed limit is 70 (was actually hoping it was 75).

So here are my questions:

1) How many points?
2) What is the fine?
3) Is there an option to attend an 'awareness' session as opposed to getting points?
4) I got my licence under 2 years ago. Is there a risk of a ban?

Cheers

Soldato
Speed limit is never 75?

Anyway, chances are you weren't going much over 75 if your speedo read 79, probably even less - I wouldn't worry.

Associate
yea those on the a11 are a bit sneeky.

from what i can gather, your speedo normally will show a little more than you were actually doing, so for example 79 could show as 76 on radar (i think thats actually fact and not fiction).

i would have thought you'd be ok, i thought i once got caught by 1 on the a11 just past wymondham, i was doing over 80 and nothing ever came of it, was ****ting myself for weeks! (this was within my first 2 years as well).

if you do get caught you're bloody unlucky because nearly all of the camera safety team in Norfolk are being made redundant, and soon to be no more according to the papers!

Last edited:
Caporegime
1) 3 points
2) £60
3) depends if you get offered it or not. You dont get to choose. Wait and see what happens if you get the NIP (notice of intended prosecution) in the post. You send your details off and admit you were the driver. If you're lucky instead of sending you a bill for £60 and a request to send your license off to be endorsed, at this point they will offer you a speed course instead. If not, tough luck.
4) No, dont get another 3 points however, 6 points within 2 years will get you a ban.

This is assuming you were caught in the first place

1) ACPO guidelines means most police forces wont issue a ticket for anything less than 10 % over the limit + 2 so thats 79 mph or above you have to be doing.

Your speedo will over read, meaning when your speedo said 79 you were most probably doing about 75

You should be fine :)

They have to get the letter to you within about 14 days. If you've not heard anything in 2 and a bit weeks you've got off :)

Caporegime
Speed limit is never 75?

Anyway, chances are you weren't going much over 75 if your speedo read 79, probably even less - I wouldn't worry.

oh yes and this

Re Read your highway code

No road has a limit of 75.

How on earth you make up an excuse for not knowing this so soon after passing your test i dont know. Shame on you ;)

Associate
OP
oh yes and this

Re Read your highway code

No road has a limit of 75.

How on earth you make up an excuse for not knowing this so soon after passing your test i dont know. Shame on you ;)

:) it wasn't an excuse..I said I hoped it was 70...anyways 70 or 75 owned up that its my fault :)

Associate
Depends how much tread is left on your tyres, what kind of car you have etc. EDIT> to clarify, I'm talking about the speedo reading here as obviously with new tyres you'll be travelling faster over the ground than you will with worn tyres at the same indicated speed.

They technically will ticket you at 79, however if your indicated speed was 79 you were hopefully below this figure!

For an offence that 'minor' the most you would get would be a fixed penalty of 3 points and a £60 fine.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Depends how much tread is left on your tyres, what kind of car you have etc.

They technically will ticket you at 79, however if your indicated speed was 79 you were hopefully below this figure!

For an offence that 'minor' the most you would get would be a fixed penalty of 3 points and a £60 fine.

Haven't checked the tread but the tyres are approx just over a year old and the car is a Honda civic 56reg with a digital speedometer. Are digital speedometers more accurate?

Caporegime
Haven't checked the tread but the tyres are approx just over a year old and the car is a Honda civic 56reg with a digital speedometer. Are digital speedometers more accurate?

no

If you really want to know how accurate it is borrow somebodys satnav

The reading on that will be more accurate as it doesnt have built in over read as iirc by law speedos arent allowed to under read your speed, so they consciously make them over read a tad.

Associate
no

If you really want to know how accurate it is borrow somebodys satnav

The reading on that will be more accurate as it doesnt have built in over read as iirc by law speedos arent allowed to under read your speed, so they consciously make them over read a tad.

Indeed, me and my friend tested his car recently and used satnav because his speedo got very inaccurate above 100mph:

novaturbovmaxlol.png

Back
Top Bottom