Overspeeding...consequences?

Caporegime
KEEP LEFT!

Idiots who sit in any lane other than the inside without any reason annoy the hell out of me. And they cause most of the accidents.

Soldato
Have to admit it's a pet peeve too. Everyone who does it says "but I move over to let people past"..... Which is great, once they notice you're waiting to get by

Man of Honour
Bet you are right back into the outside lane as soon as they've gone past though, right?

I just find it so hilarious, and so telling, that you feel you can say 'I'll be in the outside lane' as if you know for sure.

The rest of us? We'll be keeping left unless overtaking.

Caporegime
Have to admit it's a pet peeve too. Everyone who does it says "but I move over to let people past"..... Which is great, once they notice you're waiting to get by

the key is to check your mirrors

when one minute they are half a mile back, and the next they're only a few hundread yards back, you dont need a maths degree to work out he's going faster than you ;)

[TW]Fox;17510037 said:
Bet you are right back into the outside lane as soon as they've gone past though, right?

I just find it so hilarious, and so telling, that you feel you can say 'I'll be in the outside lane' as if you know for sure.

The rest of us? We'll be keeping left unless overtaking.

maybe its more of an indication of the motorways i drive on. Come join me on the M1 during rush hour and see which lane you end up in ;)

Soldato
the key is to check your mirrors

when one minute they are half a mile back, and the next they're only a few hundread yards back, you dont need a maths degree to work out he's going faster than you ;)

That is indeed the key, but a whole ton of people don't bother.

Caporegime
I fully appreciate that hogging the outside lane can slow the nutters down who are driving company cars and late for a flight / meeting and want to risk it for a choclate biscuit and do 100 + so i just make sure i stay out of there way :)

As soon as you mention "not keeping left" everybody brings up this sterotypical image of the idiot in the outside lane doing 70mph with a queue of traffic behind him with everybody in their cars yelling at him. That isnt anything like me.

Soldato
If I'm confident they're not about to pull in, I'll keep left and undertake and hope the driver pauses for a moment to wonder what the hell is happening and why.

... Ideally shifting down a couple of gears screaming past at circa 8k rpm? In honesty someone incompetant and distant enough from concentrating properly on driving who sits in the middle lane is probably THE WORST person to undertake as you can bet your self they never check the left hand mirror 'because you can't overtake on that side'

People who don't keep left are commiting an offence just as bad, if not worse than people who tail gate/speed/etc ... we lose capacity on the roads from people doing it and it causes tailbacks. Regularly I go down 4 lane stretches of our motorway network with the two left lanes empty, and only the far right and middle right lane occupied. I love it when this happens and it causes a tailback for miles.

Genius.

Soldato
M25 is worst for this, they may as well turn the inside lane into a nice flower bed or something for the amount it gets used. There's also a few roads around here (coming from Plymouth down the hill for example) where the road splits a mile or 2 down the road so everyone moves over into the middle a few miles early....drives me mad.

Am I right in thinking that undertaking is only undertaking (and thus illegal) if you move to the nearside lane specifically to pass? A few times i'll be in the left hand lane approaching someone on the outside or middle, so just carry on going. Just seems easier than pulling across 2 lanes, waiting behind someone for thhem to check their mirrors, accelerate and pull back in again

Associate
Am I right in thinking that undertaking is only undertaking (and thus illegal) if you move to the nearside lane specifically to pass? A few times i'll be in the left hand lane approaching someone on the outside or middle, so just carry on going. Just seems easier than pulling across 2 lanes, waiting behind someone for thhem to check their mirrors, accelerate and pull back in again

You're correct. You're supposed to keep with the flow of traffic, so if that means going past a car in the lane to the right then that's fine.

Soldato
You're correct. You're supposed to keep with the flow of traffic, so if that means going past a car in the lane to the right then that's fine.

thats good to know, means im not breaking the law as much as i thought. must redress that balance

Don
Indeed, me and my friend tested his car recently and used satnav because his speedo got very inaccurate above 100mph:

novaturbovmaxlol.png

I don't think a public road is the place to be doing 180mph..

Associate
OP
ok I've just realised something.. the van with the camera on top (atleast I think it was a camera) was from the highway agency (thats what it said on the side).. are they the same as highway police?

Man of Honour
ok I've just realised something.. the van with the camera on top (atleast I think it was a camera) was from the highway agency (thats what it said on the side).. are they the same as highway police?

No, they are different.

And we dont have 'Highway Police'.

Back
Top Bottom