overtime just to cover living costs

Soldato
What some people do is work less than 16 hours a week that way they get housing benefit plus help to pay other bills. The government really need to sort this out and start paying fair wages because more and more people are not going to bother with working full time as its just not worth while.

No the government need to simply stop paying benefits, if people want to work 16 hours, let them work 16 hours, if they want to work zero hours, let them live on the streets and beg.

Associate
They wont, its been happening for years and the government is well aware of it.

Its a strategic way of keeping the poor, poor. The same people who choose to work less than 16 hours and claim benefit are the same people who, will never be in a job to be promoted, never be leaders, never be managers, never be home owners. Basically never be rich or well off, the less people at the top, the better. That's the way the government wants to keep it.
Well that is a narrow way of looking at things. I know a couple of people who work 16 hours a week who live in council houses that are managers. Maybe Britain wouldn't be so ***** if it wasn't for this stupid class system that divides "human beings" into categories.

Soldato
Well that is a narrow way of looking at things. I know a couple of people who work 16 hours a week who live in council houses that are managers. Maybe Britain wouldn't be so ***** if it wasn't for this stupid class system that divides "human beings" into categories.

What kind of managers? And please don't say janitor :p

On a serious note, you cant blame the class system. If people want to get out of a rut then they need to pull their finger out and do more than just the bare minimum to get by. Life doesn't reward the lazy.

Associate
What kind of managers? And please don't say janitor :p

On a serious note, you cant blame the class system. If people want to get out of a rut then they need to pull their finger out and do more than just the bare minimum to get by. Life doesn't reward the lazy.
Its just the overall society of Britain. Class system and snobbery for what exactly? its no wonder Britain is a laughing stock to the world. A cold country with no culture and nothing much going for it.

Soldato
the word 'want' is quite important in platinum87's post

only wanting to work 16 hours and top up the rest/get rent paid etc is different to needing benefits for whatever reason

at least I'm hoping that was the reasoning...

Associate

only wanting to work 16 hours and top up the rest/get rent paid etc is different to needing benefits for whatever reason

Its not about wanting but about survival. What is the point in working your butt off if your going to be worse off? That was the point I was trying to make. Luckily I'm not in that situation but I know others who are.

Soldato
Its not about wanting but about survival. What is the point in working your butt off if your going to be worse off? That was the point I was trying to make. Luckily I'm not in that situation but I know others who are.
Also it so much harder to keep that wanting to work feeling when house prices are so far out of reach even if you work 50 to 60 hours a week :(:mad:

Soldato
No the government need to simply stop paying benefits, if people want to work 16 hours, let them work 16 hours, if they want to work zero hours, let them live on the streets and beg.
That’s a brilliant way to make the crime rate go through the roof and starve children born into poverty through no fault of their own.

Soldato
Stats have shown time and time again that effort does not bring wealth.

Man of Honour

End of the day life isn't black and white and people have to contend with very different circumstances.

Like when people trot out trite "solutions" like overtime... pay/performance review... second job... move to a new area... blah blah. For some people that might be a reality or something with a bit of effort fixes their problems for others they may not have realistic access to that or lack agency or the support they need to make a difference in those areas, etc.

Just as a basic example I know people who work in caring so between the demands of the job and split shifts, etc. a second job isn't a reality, often in that kind of work any real pay review isn't a reality, etc. etc.

Soldato
Work smarter not harder ,posted from a stunning bought outright property ,we were frantically overpaying our semi in Yorkshire while the neighbours bought new cars and trinkets ,all done in a decade on crappy jobs (apart from cnc programmer/waterjetter for a while) and tax credits and moderately hard diy work (i am useless at diy)
Not too fussed if anyone disagrees as i am still sat here watching the sheep ;)
I am told its luck ,if that is so then been very lucky with both properties but also brave enough to make ourselves homeless and come down here with a measly 100k and sleep in the back of a fabia estate until we found something

Soldato
So I’ve worked out the following so far , still waiting on council tax bill for next year though but I’m guessing another £25 a month.

The below will be a year on year comparison 21 to 22 . Although 22 is estimated I’m thinking it might be more ! These to us are essentials but mortgage and Sky go up in a few months as well .

£130 extra on gas/elec
£ 64 in extra NI contributions
£25 a month in Ctax
£50 a month on petrol fuel - just going on last year use
£30 a month on food

So that’s £299 a month extra that is set in stone . Will probably be £500 with non essentials.

We toyed with it last year but as the kids have left home but now we’re thinking of selling up , cashing in and moving to the West Country .

Soldato
I've always done overtime for as long as I've been allowed, I average about 35-40 a month, job is low responsibility and the workload is pretty low at the minute, but time and a half is good, I could manage without it if I had no debt and relied just on my base salary and any allowances I have, but even with debts the overtime lets me have a decent standard of living on top of my salary.

Soldato

You are correct if we discuss the problem on a scale of what is worse.

However i remove that sort of thing from consideration, as it does not need to be considered. Simply stop all benefits.

My statements might be considered as cruel but what you have just said is worse than every conspiracy theory i've ever skim read about.

Man of Honour
Work smarter not harder ,posted from a stunning bought outright property ,we were frantically overpaying our semi in Yorkshire while the neighbours bought new cars and trinkets ,all done in a decade on crappy jobs (apart from cnc programmer/waterjetter for a while) and tax credits and moderately hard diy work (i am useless at diy)
Not too fussed if anyone disagrees as i am still sat here watching the sheep ;)
I am told its luck ,if that is so then been very lucky with both properties but also brave enough to make ourselves homeless and come down here with a measly 100k and sleep in the back of a fabia estate until we found something

That is the thing though - for some people things like that just might not be an option, for others they can make it work, then there will be others who are too work shy, etc. which is another matter again.

Soldato
Its definitely easier when the kids have left home, they went to uni and both said west Yorkshire wasnt an option any more, also i was an agency worker so not much of a job to pack in . we hated it so much up there it was scarier to do nothing than take a risk

Back
Top Bottom