P & O Ferries

Caporegime
Where do the workers go after their shift? Do these ships have staff accommodation like cruise liners because they won't be able to afford anything here.
back to the deepest bowels of the ship where they probably sleep like people on ww2 U-Boats in a claustrophobic space.
we entered the victorian era again or something.

Maybe rees mogg will see a loop hole and move his company yet again, into a derelict oil rig or an old ferry off the coast where he can hire workers on 50p an hour

Soldato
No problem with them being made redundant as long as their positions are actually redundant and not being refilled.

Imagine its just re-word, location is based from X, need to be X national due to tax - all just a play, even if the role is the same.

They are being refilled, allegedly with people on 2 quid an hour.

So is there any actual legal recourse for any of this? I mean the whole situation seems ridiculous - but if it was legal I imagine there's not much that can be done?

Outsourcing a role is a valid reason for redundancy, and I think this is similar in Jersey. I believe Jersey doesn't have a TUPE equivalent which is what would protect the workers under a UK contract.

Commissario
Wasn't a well known company which starts with a H? one of my uncles worked for a company which did that but they were expected to train up their replacements until they got wind of it and most refused/walked - ended up costing the company dearly.
No, it began with an L.

The company was owned by a pair of brothers (I think) who were penny pinching idiots when it came to the business, they took as much money out of the business as possible assuming that their captive market* would never change, whilst treating customers badly. It came back to bite them in the backside when they no longer had the money or experienced staff to adapt, and they'd driven off some of their biggest customers, which combined with the pound getting stronger vs various other currencies.

*I believe the company grew back in the days of high import duties and when many of the commonwealth countries were still far more closely linked to the UK (so it's market was to some extent protected from non UK competition).

Soldato
I guess you could work it out by seeing where the workers were paying tax.

It is as you say wierd as wherever they are docked it will be quite expensive.

However, I thought the initial reports were that it was mainly agency staff from the UK. They were being bussed in? I'm guessing they are being paid at least minimum wage + fees to the agency. It wouldn't be a surprise if the RMT are stretching the truth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-60792999

Tactics used in Leicester factories are/were employees would sign on for X amount of hours at min wage. They would then actually work longer hours so the actual pay in reality was less. So gamesmanship like that could be going on. Also deductions might be made for costs that were previously covered by the company like uniform, bunks to sleep etc.

Caporegime
Caporegime
Something just doesn't seem right. Pay out all that money but even if you take into account average wage. That's 25 million in wages for 800 crew a year. Even if you could halve it yearly with the redundancy pay-out it will take circa 3 years to even break even before they even see a return.

Pay isn't the only cost. Pension...national insurance...bonuses...perks.
All things that can be reduced by changing staff.

Soldato
For someone to be getting a 170k they must have worked there quite some years. Seems they could save a few quid by not making the longest standing employees redundant as some are surely not that far off retirement.

Caporegime
For someone to be getting a 170k they must have worked there quite some years. Seems they could save a few quid by not making the longest standing employees redundant as some are surely not that far off retirement.

They're in a better position to work out what's best for them than you are.

Soldato

AFAIK, the legal maximum to redundancy pay is £16,320

So why on earth would you make contracts giving 170k?????

Caporegime
I called it :D

They must have been on insane packages. No wonder P&O had to make a change.

Like I said earlier, its often possible to see it from the side of the business. Packages like that make it abundantly clear why they've gone down this route. That doesn't mean it's right but its understandable

Back
Top Bottom