P55 boards: CPU coolers and RAM clearance.

Associate
I'm currently speccing a new rig would like to know which mid-range P55 motherboards have decent, or the most, clearance between a given aftermarket CPU cooler and the RAM sticks. I've read about some people not being able to fit fans onto the front of some coolers, or having to fit them higher than they would like, as the first RAM stick is in the way.

I'm looking at the following boards:

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4
Asus P7P55D
MSI P55-GD65

and probably either this Noctua cooler, or this Zalman.

Any help or user input would be really helpful.

Regards,
Pete.

Soldato
Hhmm, not sure about budget....had a Scythe Ninja+ on my Q6600 and always found it good.....I guess it is early days on s1156 !
Going to put on the stock fella initially, and look around for the 'right' cooler to replace.....I guess circa. £30-40 is what I will be looking at...

As for the Akasa - how does it compare to stock cooler ? Temps ?

Associate
I have 8gb of Corsair dominator

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-199-CS

The noctua fan touches the first ram stick of ram on my msi p55 gd80. Its just touches, it doesnt effect operation of the ram or even removal.

Its because the heatsink on the ram is too tall. With normal height ram it would be OK.

If I remove the fan closest to the ram then the heatsink is well clear. I was thinking of getting a smaller width fan eg 120mmx120mmx12mm but since it all works well now, I cant be bothered.

Associate
OP
I have 8gb of Corsair dominator

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-199-CS

The noctua fan touches the first ram stick of ram on my msi p55 gd80. Its just touches, it doesnt effect operation of the ram or even removal.

Its because the heatsink on the ram is too tall. With normal height ram it would be OK.

If I remove the fan closest to the ram then the heatsink is well clear. I was thinking of getting a smaller width fan eg 120mmx120mmx12mm but since it all works well now, I cant be bothered.

That's the trouble. If one has an aftermarket CPU cooler, one is probably overclocking; if one is overclocking, they probably have top-end RAM with heatsinks sticking out the top.

I guess the H50 wouldn't come close to the DIMM slots...

Associate
OP
dont forget that you use the second ram slot first, so if your using 2x2gb sticks your first ram slot next to the cpu is actually free

Yeah I know. Unless some new must-have game or something I was is released that will need more than 4GB DDR3, I don't plan on going up to 8GB. So the clearance isn't a huge problem.

I do like a tidy case, though; don't want it to look all cramped and awkward.

Back
Top Bottom