P55 usb3 - 8gb kingston hyper x memory - memtest fail

Associate
Just starting to get to grips with a clients PC. He has a Gigabyte P55 USB mobo with 4x 2GB Kingston hyper x 1333 memory, running at 9-9-9-24 at 1.5V (according to CPU Z). Individually the sticks test fine but put them all in and memtest reports loads of fails. Haven't done tech support for a while so a bit rusty and I'm not familiar with this particular motherboard. Just working my way through some possible solutions.

Does anyone have a similar config and can help with some ram timings and or voltage settings?

Cheers

Caporegime
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think you're looking on the wrong place in CPU-Z as it doesn't show the DRAM voltage actually being used only the voltage required by the SPD settings (SPD tab).

You need to look at the memory tab to see the actual speed and timings the RAM is running at.

If you need any advice on what settings to use then please post the exact model of the RAM.

It would help if you could post screenshots of the memory and SPD tabs from CPU-Z.

Edit:

Also what's the exact model of the motherboard?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Many thanks for your reply. Sorry for the confusion. I was indeed looking at the SPD tab!

Here's the SPD tab screen shot

IMAG0440.jpg

And here's the memory tab:

IMAG0441.jpg

I'll need to get over to the client's to take one of the sticks out to get the exact model number. I'll do that this week.

Edit: and will do the same for the motherboard too. It's a P55 USB3 but not sure if it's a revision 2.0

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looking at the screen shots everything looks OK in the memory tab except that tRAS would perhaps need to be 25 instead of 24 but it may be OK at 24. 25 is actually for 1370MHz.

1.50V is what it says it needs for 1333MHz so you can check that's what it's set at in the BIOS.

With 4 sticks of RAM you may need to increase the QPI/VTT Voltage a touch.

I believe the default is 1.1V so try nudging it up a bit from there.

Associate
OP
Hi there. Sorry for radio silence. Have not been able to get over to clients place again till today.

According to bios the dram is running at 1.58v (it's set to auto) and qip/vtt is 1.1.

His actual memory module part number is KHX1333C9D3K2/4g

I've looked at the data sheet here http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KHX1333C9D3K2_4G.pdfbut can't work out if it should be running at 1.5v or 1.6v.

Don't want to raise the figures anymore until I get a handle on it :)

Associate
According to the Kingston website it's listed as 1.6v, which seems to tie in with what the bios is telling you but the datasheet states 1.5v. Only thing to try now is manually setting the voltage in the bios and seeing if it helps, if not then RMA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom