p5k experiences

Associate
i posted this in the official thread but really want to see if anyone else has noticed regarding non contacting heatsinks even without hsf on/warped motherboards (albiet only slightly with no hsf fitted).
Also am i doing the right thing in RMAing the board as never had to before in my life.

Hi all

This is my first Intel based system and things are not going well at all.

So far i have noticed the new board appears to be warped which is resulting in the individual heatsink without heat pipes not contacting the componants under it.
Even with the q6600's heatsink and fan removed it is still not contacting the components so it must be the board.
Shame as it is the first time i have had an ASUS board with a build issue.

Then the fun has really started, first i was unable to set a raid array-system would just hang at post screen as soon as raid was enabled and on exiting the bios would actually appear to turn off the pc fully for 5 seconds or so before re booting although not every time. I messed around with all the sata cables and last night managed to get it to boot (twice in fact) before i started getting errors like system over clock failed??????? (bios is default except for raid settings.
Back in to the bios and set to ide and all works a treat-NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.
This went on and on for an hour and a half trying various configurations of hardware, sata leads, before i decided i had had enough.
Reading through others experiences i see that a common fault seems to be SATA problems and it appears i have a lemon
Anyone else had the same problems as me and did you get them fixed? this board is being RMA'd on monday and i will just have to wait and see how the next one fairs.
I have always had ASUS boards and this is the first time i have ever had a problem like this.

just to clarify the hardware i am using-

q6600
p5k premium
corsair xms2 6400 (2 gig) on qvl
2 x WD 500 gb SATA 2 drives
700 watt OCZ psu

Associate
Hello - bought this mobo yesterday, with a similar setup - Q6600, 600W OCZ PSU.

but really want to see if anyone else has noticed regarding non contacting heatsinks even without hsf on/warped motherboards

In specific, are you talknig about the copper heatsink, just to the right of the CPU (top edge, long thin one by itself)?

I noticed there is a slight warp to the board at this point - I don't know if it was like that when I bought it or since adding the cooler (which puts a certain amount of force on the board). Plus it's not held on as solid as the rest of the heatsinks that are all connected to each other (north/southbridge).

As for other problems - I've had none. Been an easy board to overclock with, only altered vcore and FSB :D
I wouldn't worry about it really.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
i am getting somewhere-i an set up a raid array but as soon as i connect a third disk to the black sata port the thing will not boot up.works fine in ide mode though so any ideas????

Back
Top Bottom