P5N-T Deluxe - Graphics card question hmmm

Associate
Ok well i have a P5N-T Deluxe mofoboard and i was wondering the other day about something and this is what i have discovered ok.

I recently bought a new GTX285 and stuck that badboy in PCIE 1 slot and it runs absolutely fine. BUT this is where i'm not sure.

I was having a look at the mofoboard manual and according to that, PCIE slot 1&3 share the same bus, but PCIE slot 2 shares it's bus with PCI slot 1.(and i have nothing in that slot)

so i was like hmmm interesting. so i ran the Nvidia display monitors. and this is what i find.
PCI-bus%20SS.jpg

So surely my GFX card would run faster on slot 2?

Note: machine was set to default clocks.

Associate
That definitely looks like it'll run faster in slot 2. Depends entirely though on what speed the graphics card can make use of. Also, if you have something running in slot 1 or 3, but nothing in the other, the board may just use all of the bandwidth on that slot. By that, I mean it may be one of those "either 1x16, or 2x8" things for SLi/Crossfire.

By the numbers, it makes sense that slot 2 is the way to go, but i wouldn't quote me on that, as I've never seen a board like that.

Associate
Yes, it's strange. PCIe slots 1&3 are x16 2.0 (both) and number 2 is just x16. More strange is that computer equipped with nForce chipset runs when graphic card is pushed not into slot 1 ;)
5000 MHz is correct bus for PCIe x16 2.0 anyway, so it's odd why this soft shows them as they worked @2500 MHz. I wouldn't expect performance raise in black slot (number 2) - try to move your card into slot 1 and see what nVidia monitors shows this time :)

Associate
OP
Okay some interesting findings mefinks!

This is the benchmark test from the GFX card in slot 1
GFXslot1.PNG

Slot 2
GFXslot2.PNG

now it is a very slight increase and it could just be a coincence. BUT

one thing i did notice but forgot to screenshot because i didnt think it would be relevant is the fact my CPU score went from (GFX in slot1) 29560 to (GFX in slot2) 34000+ which with an E8400 i had stock at the time i did my benchmarks. is quite a nice increase. and i have noticed whilst playing games with the GFX card in slot2 a FPS increase and a lot smoother when processing physx (no more micro stutter)

Associate
Okay some interesting findings mefinks!
one thing i did notice but forgot to screenshot because i didnt think it would be relevant is the fact my CPU score went from (GFX in slot1) 29560 to (GFX in slot2) 34000+ which with an E8400 i had stock at the time i did my benchmarks. is quite a nice increase. and i have noticed whilst playing games with the GFX card in slot2 a FPS increase and a lot smoother when processing physx (no more micro stutter)

OK, nice job. I still don't know what's that, but I will try to check on my Striker II Extreme and see whether I've got the same. It would be harder due to I'm SLIing ;)
Anyway - if Slot 2 is faster&smoother for you - use it.

P.S.
Have you got the latest BIOS ? If not - just save current one before flashing because it might be precious :)

Back
Top Bottom